Normal V low voltage lights in the Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Does anyone have any knowledge of low-voltage lighting in bathrooms.

I have been advised that low voltage in better for the bathroom but when in the electrical wholesalers there appeared to be normal voltage lamps designed specifically for wet areas.

Cheers for any info

Sam

Sponsored Links
Low voltage (230v) lamps are those normally used in most/all rooms.

Extra low voltage (12v) lamps do provide more light than the 230v equivalents, however there is the added cost of the transformer and compatibility issues with dimmer switches.

The lamp type makes no difference as to which room they are used in - it is the light fitting which matters.

If you are talking about recessed spotlights, both 12v and 230v types get excessively hot, are inefficient compared to other types of lighting and installing them in a bathroom will probably be a contravention of building regulations in several ways.

I have a 230 volt fluorescent circular lamp in my bathroom. Its 32 watts and very bright. I recommend it. From B&Q. And it doesnt get hot, and is polycarbonate so no worries about burns or shocks, not that it matters because I have 2550mm high ceilings. Simple and sleek.

I fitted this light to replace some halogen monstrocity fitted by the previous owner, which used 200 watts of electricity. It got hot, and created shadows where you didnt want them! Oh, and it was rusting. :rolleyes: So in short, I cannot recommend halogen lights of any voltage in a bathroom . . . or any other room in the house for that matter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back