Low Resistance on IR Testing

Sponsored Links
I would say "they" were, but it is just Turkish for cable so I think 'seval' might be the relevant part.

Sponsored Links
Were "Kablo" (if that's the same, or related) not responsible for the previous wide-scale cable problem - or is my memory failing me?
It's just occured to me that 'Kablo' is probably just Turkish/whatever for 'cable', so that 'Atlas Kablo' (responsible for 2017 problem) may well be totally different from 'Seval Kablo'!

Kind Regards, John
Edit: too slow again!

The Atlas Kablo cable is marked with the manufacturer’s identification `Atlas Kablo’ and carries a 2010 manufacturing date. Flat twin and earth cable is marked with the BASEC mark, and flexible cables with the TSE ‹HAR› approval mark. The cable sheathing colours included grey, white, cream, yellow and blue and marking may be embossed or printed. Many of the cables are also marked with British designations such as 6242Y, 3183Y, BS 6004 and BS 6500.

Mine has SEVAL KABLO 2014 printed on it.

Wasnt that an issue with the copper content, surely that would not affect insulation resistance

Yep was a fire hazard when in fault

It sounds like something similar has happened again with cheap Turkish cable - this time they have used substandard plastic for the insulation, maybe the plastic was recycled and mixed with burnt PVC, which is conductive would be my guess?

Once this is all confirmed and official, it needs to be raised with the authorities. The risk from substandard insulation, is an equal risk to that of substandard copper conductor.

It sounds like something similar has happened again with cheap Turkish cable - this time they have used substandard plastic for the insulation, maybe the plastic was recycled and mixed with burnt PVC, which is conductive would be my guess?
That's certainly a possibility.

If it is due to inferior PVC, it sounds as if it is not a 'uniform' problem throughout the cables. As I understand it, a 5m length had an IR of 114 MΩ, but a whole unused reel (50m? 100m?) had an IR of 50 MΩ. If the problem existed uniformly throughout the cables, one would expect the latter figure to be much lower.

Again, if it is a cable insulation problem, and given that it arose in relation to several of the OPs reels, purchased over an appreciable period of time, I remain very surprised that TLC (or other wholesalers) have not already had reports - it may not not say a lot for the testing practices of all the electricians (or 'electricians') who presumably will have bought and installed cable from the same batch!

Kind Regards, John

Lets see what TLC come back with, tomorrow I will crack on with live tests and see what happens.

On paper the current tests all pass, so im not going to butcher the house to replace something on the off chance.

Hopefully TLC and manufacture come back with an answer.

Well just grabbed a reel and done a test on it. Guess what 58.2M.
Sorry for butting in but look at the other end of the real, the two conductors are exposed and very close together. I would slice that end open to separate the wires a bit.

PS. I have not yet read the remaining 7 pages of posts

Sorry for butting in but look at the other end of the real, the two conductors are exposed and very close together. I would slice that end open to separate the wires a bit. ... PS. I have not yet read the remaining 7 pages of posts
If you did read the rest of the thread, you would see that that has already been suggested.

However, what you may already have missed is that similar (all surprisingly 'low') IR readings have been obtained with several different lengths of the cable - several installed circuits and several unused bits/reals. It would be almost beyond belief that an issue 'at the other end' would exist in every case, with similar results every time - particularly in the case of the installed lengths of cables, for which the conductors 'at the other end' will be terminated in some accessory.

Kind Regards, John

However, if it is able to display >999 MΩ on some cable (and also, presumably, if you don't connect the test probes to anything) then, despite my initial thoughts, I'm now far less convinced that it's going to prove to be a meter issue.
While it only goes up to 20M, a Calcard would pretty well eliminate that question. Moot though it is now the cable has been fingered as faulty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back