low voltage light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

i have just installed low voltage lighting in the kitchen connected to the ceiling rose. the new kitchen lights work fine but all the other lights on the downstairs circuit now do not work? the ceiling rose has 5 twin & earth cables connected inside. i removed the rose and connected all lives (commons) together, all blacks together and all earths together. i connected the switched neutral to the new lights and they work fine. i did however find another neutral which is a permanent live? it must have snapped when i initially removed the ceiling rose and therefore i do not know where it should be connected? PLEASE HELP!

Sponsored Links
There should not be a "switched neutral"!!

All black wires together may not be correct!

If you have another neutral which appears live (and you are sure it is a neutral, it needs reconnecting to the others.

securespark said:
There should not be a "switched neutral"!! All black wires together may not be correct! If you have another neutral which appears live (and you are sure it is a neutral, it needs reconnecting to the others.

sorry, the "switched?" neutral was connected to the live feed for the light fitting so i just connected it back together with the live. the "spare" black (not taped red) neutral is permanently live when the power is on. surely this shouldnt be connected to the other neutrals? the kitchen has 2 light fittings of which have 2 light switches controlling them both.

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
Have you tried connecting it to the others?

cheers mate. connected it to the other neutrals and lights back on. because there was no red tape on any of the switch wires i got confused. next time i will dab a red paint pen onto them before removing from ceiling rose! the "joys" of a new house and finding all the left over flaws :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back