Low Voltage Lights

S

steviez

Hi,

I am going to fit some low voltage dichroic lights in to my kitchen with the bathroom above.. Are these safe to fit between floors without some sort of fire protection on them?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It is down to manufacturers instruction but unlikely will comply.

422.3.1 Except for equipment for which an appropriate product standard specifies requirements, a luminaire shall be kept at an adequate distance from Combustible materials. Unless otherwise recommended by the manufacturer, a small spotlight or projector shall be installed at the following minimum distance from combustible materials:
(i) Rating up to 100 W 0.5 m
(ii) Over 100 and up to 300 W 0.8 m
(iii) Over 300 and up to 500 W 1.0 m
NOTE: A luminaire with a lamp that could eject flammable materials in case of failure should be constructed with a safety protective shield for the lamp in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.

It is unlikely you can get the 0.5 meters required. To use any hoods etc with diachronic defeats the whole idea of not projecting heat and only projecting light. The whole idea of a diachronic lamp is heat will pass through the reflector. With low voltage lamps (230v) the GZ10 will take either type but GU10 will not take the diachronic lamps.
With the Extra Low Voltage (12v) this safety feature does not exist and it is easy to fit the wrong type.

Also with low voltage (230v) you can fit cold cathode lamps.

Why fit diachronic? I can see where lighting pictures you may want to keep the picture cool but to mount in ceiling it is hard to get angle to light pictures. So using a pod is better idea then they can be better angled to light a picture etc.

For lighting a room they are useless makes the room look like a planetarium with about as much light. To light a room you need over twice the wattage used with any other type of lamp and they just look silly.

422.3.1 Except for equipment for which an appropriate product standard specifies requirements, a luminaire shall be kept at an adequate distance from Combustible materials. Unless otherwise recommended by the manufacturer, a small spotlight or projector shall be installed at the following minimum distance from combustible materials:

I thought that related to the distance from the front of the fitting

ie over a worktop or shining on a wall etc

I thought that related to the distance from the front of the fitting

ie over a worktop or shining on a wall etc

Indeed it does.

Sponsored Links
does OP actually mean low voltage - 230V.
I very seriously doubt it. As I'm sure you must know as well as I do, the vast majority of the 99%+ (or whatever) of the population who are not electricians or electrical engineers would probably not dream of thinking of 230V as 'low voltage' - and probably just as well, since most of them probably equate (their understanding of) 'low voltage' with 'harmless'.

Acoordingly, as you also must know, when that vast majority of the general public speak of 'low voltage', they almost certainly mean what you would call ELV - and I would think that ought to be the default assumption (to be questioned for confirmation where necessary) when anyone who posts a question in a 'DIY' forum talks about 'low voltage'.

There are times when it almost looks as if some of the electrically trained or knowledgable people here have 'forgotten' that questions generally come from (electrically) 'lay' people. I say that because the alternative explanation (for some of the responses I see) would be that they deliberately set out to 'blind/confuse/intimidate with science/jargon' - and I'm sure everyone here is far too decent to do that :)

Kind Regards, John.

does OP actually mean low voltage - 230V.
I very seriously doubt it. As I'm sure you must know as well as I do, the vast majority of the 99%+ (or whatever) of the population who are not electricians or electrical engineers would probably not dream of thinking of 230V as 'low voltage' - and probably just as well, since most of them probably equate (their understanding of) 'low voltage' with 'harmless'.
But perhaps not in this case unless you know something we don't know.

Acoordingly, as you also must know, when that vast majority of the general public speak of 'low voltage', they almost certainly mean what you would call ELV - and I would think that ought to be the default assumption (to be questioned for confirmation where necessary) when anyone who posts a question in a 'DIY' forum talks about 'low voltage'.
Assuming is a danagerous game getting a clear understanding is important when giving advice - which is what EFLImpudance has done here - hasn't he?

There are times when it almost looks as if some of the electrically trained or knowledgable people here have 'forgotten' that questions generally come from (electrically) 'lay' people. I say that because the alternative explanation (for some of the responses I see) would be that they deliberately set out to 'blind/confuse/intimidate with science/jargon' -

Cut and paste and chrystal ball gazing again then John ;) .

Hi,
I am 23 and have been in and out of electrical work since i left school and really want to get in to the trade bad! What is the best way for someone like me with no formal qualifications in electrical to get in?
I have been an electricians mate for years now but want to become more!
Any ideas would be great, Thanks

Assuming is a danagerous game getting a clear understanding is important when giving advice - which is what EFLImpudance has done here - hasn't he?
He has indeed (in the fifth post of the thread), which corresponds to my "to be questioned for confrmation where necessary".

Hi,
I am 23 and have been in and out of electrical work since i left school and really want to get in to the trade bad! What is the best way for someone like me with no formal qualifications in electrical to get in?
I have been an electricians mate for years now but want to become more!
Any ideas would be great, Thanks
Well, for a start, I doubt that many people other than you will have remembered that from 6 months ago. More to the point, I very much doubt that many electricians would normally talk about 'low voltage lighting' when they were referring to 'ordinary' 230V lighting in a domestic setting, even though that is (in engineering terms) strictly correct - any more than they would usually talk about a 'low voltage kettle', low voltage socket', 'low voltage TV' etc. etc. (when refering to 230V items).

I'm sure that we all know that 'low voltage' is most commonly used by the general public and also many manufacturers, and suppliers to refer to ELV. It's not restricted to the 'uninformed'. For example, if you look in the 'low voltage downlights' or 'low voltage lamps' sections of the TLC catalogue/website, do you expect to see 230V items?

However, my point was really a far more general one, this thread being far from the worst example. You don't have to look far to find threads in which initial responses to someone who is probably 'an electrical layman' make (qute possibly incorrect) assumptions about the op's understanding of electrical terminology or concepts (if not the alternative explanation which I previously mentioned).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back