Low voltage wire system

It looks like a plain tordinal transformer in which case yes I would assume quite heavy? The lighter versions are not simple transformers but also have electronics inside and often a minimum as well as maximum output those will not work with LED.

The replacement I linked to is also a simple tordinal transformer and you could use LED lamps.

But if you replaced with one of these then the minimum size of bulb is 50W and you could not use LED bulbs.

Sponsored Links
It will depend on the LEDs. Many require a constant voltage or constant current DRIVER and may not work with your transformer.

As your transformer is knackered, if you are going the LED route, it would be better to chnage the transformer for a DRIVER designed to work with the LED lamps.

Actually my transformer is not "knackered" and works fine now i managed to change the fuse.

Looks like moving to LEDS for these 4 lights is more trouble than its worth so i will look a LEDS for my other 50 lights around the house as these are not low powered.

Again, thanks for all your advice.

Sponsored Links
my other 50 lights around the house
50 :!: :eek:

Is your house called Chatsworth?

Do you think you'd need as many lights if you were to use ones which were fit for purpose?

I know...... 50...... but when the builder redeveloped the house he put in all ceiling tungsten lights with each room having a min of 4, sometimes 6+ lights including the bathroom, en-suite and cloakroom!. The kitchen has 10 including these low powered ones!

I am assuming they are fit for purpose and its me wanting to lower my energy bills with LED versions.

Do they light the room up? If so they are fit for purpose. Ban all sheds has a very misguided view that downlighters are terrible and should be outlawed, simply because he doesn't like them.

You can fit LEDs to your existing suspended wire kit, as long as they are 12VAC versions such as these:

[url+http://www.tinydeal.com/High-power-GX5-3-MR16-5W-450-Lumens-AC-DC12V-Warm-White-3000-3500K-COB-Spotlight-LED-Light-Bulb-Lamp-HLB-190317-p-93351.html?currency=GBP&gclid=CKv7xMel4LoCFfLHtAodx2gAiA]Click Me[/url]

(I have no idea if those actual ones are any good, just the first hit on google)

Do they light the room up? If so they are fit for purpose.
No - if they were fit for purpose a house would not need 50 of them.

Ban all sheds has a very misguided view that downlighters are terrible and should be outlawed, simply because he doesn't like them.
It is not misguided, and I am not calling for them to be outlawed. It is true that I don't like them, but I am not alone in that.

I would be interested to know if any standard LED lamps like those sold by Lidi for example would not work with a toroidal transformer like used here?

I had some 12v lamps in my bathroom which were really OTT at 200W on little pods and I did not want to remove or just switch off so fitted some very low wattage lamps (0.58W) just really to fill the holes and these are the only LED lamps fitted in my house to fail. Could be because very cheap £1 each or could be because AC not DC supply. I would say more likely just cheap.

But no details on GU 5.3 from Lidi does not say even 12 volt on advert so will they work with 12 vac?

Well clearly it can't care about polarity, so unless it can't tolerate 17Vpp, why not?

One last question.

Can I replace the lamps (35w12volt) with LED versions using the same transformer etc?

Thanks

The original is from Belgium and shows no UK dealers. There is however a "contact us" option but no point in me doing that for you.

I note Cheshire and think possibly originally an Ikea product see this link so a visit to Warrington would seem likely best option and see what is sold now.

Massive is distributed hugely through the UK, and all wholesales can get it. It is predominantly retail lighting, but is also rebranded as wholesales own brand quite often, particularly NEWLEC stuff. I have had to get spares in the past, and not had a problem.

Cheapy nasty stuff though!

It looks like a plain tordinal transformer in which case yes I would assume quite heavy? The lighter versions are not simple transformers but also have electronics inside and often a minimum as well as maximum output those will not work with LED.

The replacement I linked to is also a simple tordinal transformer and you could use LED lamps.

But if you replaced with one of these then the minimum size of bulb is 50W and you could not use LED bulbs.

You shouldn't swap it for an electronic type. These work at high frequency, and if connecting to one of these overhead suspension systems, you are effectively creating an aerial which will dish out interference.

I would be interested to know if any standard LED lamps like those sold by Lidi for example would not work with a toroidal transformer like used here?

I had some 12v lamps in my bathroom which were really OTT at 200W on little pods and I did not want to remove or just switch off so fitted some very low wattage lamps (0.58W) just really to fill the holes and these are the only LED lamps fitted in my house to fail. Could be because very cheap £1 each or could be because AC not DC supply. I would say more likely just cheap.

But no details on GU 5.3 from Lidi does not say even 12 volt on advert so will they work with 12 vac?

They will generally work with toroidal, as that's putting out 12v AC at 50hz. They may not work from electronic transformers as the output is high frequency, and the transformer may not be able to drive a load so small, and will shut down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back