low-wattage immersion heaters

once your hot water tank is happy then would it be feasable to use the excess to charge some batteries -i`m thiking to keep an inverter on standby in case of mains fail and not enough sunlight/wind. could keep a little bit of lighting going and phone chargers and laptop and router connected via UPS

Sponsored Links
once your hot water tank is happy then would it be feasable to use the excess to charge some batteries -i`m thiking to keep an inverter on standby in case of mains fail and not enough sunlight/wind. could keep a little bit of lighting going and phone chargers and laptop and router connected via UPS
Depends how you have it setup?. Mine is grid connected so when there is no sun / battery left the power gets pulled from the grid. I don't have the part wired in yet which would give me power during a cut. It starts sending power to the hot water tank once the battery is full as electricity is much more expensive than gas so I want to store as much as possible before heating the water...

Ah you are so right. I assumed that the diverter would in reality just switch the heater on or off. Reading some more, I can see that (at least some) will go in line and feed the excess.

I won't even need to change the existing 3kw unit!

If you have a gas boiler, the cost of HW is so low, that splashing out on an Immersun or similar will cost more than it saves.

You could well be right, but if I already have the panels, the tank, and an immersion heater, it's not much outlay.

Sponsored Links
Immersun will cost around £300

And take years to earn it

In summer, my gas usage for HW is about 50p a day

You could donate or sell the electricity to the grid to make a tiny reduction in fossil fuel usage and climate change.

I occasionally see second hand units on eBay for very little money. That's probably what I'll look out for.

Fair point about energy donation though.

I've got a faulty one you can have for a tenner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back