lower ceiling integral garage to create storage space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

i have no DIY skills being of generation of Supernintendo, anyway,

im 31, i have kids, its time i try this DIY thing.

my property approx 20 years old.

I want to create a over head storage in my garage.

the front quarter/half of my garage has a high roof to the front of the house with hidden space under the plaster board which I want to use for storage.

I have price some 2x6 wood, for 10ft lengths its about £8.50 each.

Im not sure what i should fixed the woods to, ive seen some metal brackets but they look like i need to remove some mortar as they look to "slide into the wall".

I not sure what i will be storing, things like kids toys, old computer bits, nothing massively heavy.

So the idea is to remove the ceiling plaster board to the front half of the garage revealing the lofty space, then build and lower level to store on.

where do i start?

Sponsored Links
I am not sure you will get much extra space, that void will have a lot of wood in it.
I would start by locating where the fixings are for the ceiling, use a stud locator,mapping compass or a magnet. mark their position with a bit of "post-it " label or tape. I would then cut a 6" square spy hole through the ceiling now, select a point right in the middle between the fixings, somewhere in the centre of the door. Drill holes a the corner of your square and a chain of holes from diagonally opposite corners for about an inch down each side. Do not let the drill penetrate too far as there could be a cable laying on the plasterboard. Cut the sides of the square out and poke a camera or mirror through the hole and figure out whats up there. Come back here and report your findings.
Frank

Sponsored Links
current ceiling hight from floor is 257mm, apporx 8 & 1/2 FT

now looking at the "breeze blocks" i estimate another 3 -4 ft of space at the highest point

so i was thinking about 6 and 1/2 ft hight for my new ceiling/storage beams hight?

Garage - fire regs ? I'm not sure but that ceiling must be plastered for a reason ;)

my loft is pants, i can get up there but only on my knees, and its already got all the kids old toys and things the wife wants to keep till they are older.

the point here is im trying to make floor space for home gym in garage. the inlaws have the same build property, when the purchased the property the old owner had put over head storage in the same manner im planning.

not sure about fire regs, i spoke to a chap doing next doors roof tiles and he seems to think its fine to remove the plasterboard from the first quarter, garage is too small for a car, well maybe an old mini

anyway, simply put we are talking about create overhead storage.

please have a look at this, as this is what i would like to create in general

http://www.garagetek.co.uk/case-studies/single-garage-in-hurley-berkshire#prettyPhoto[url][/url]

and

http://www.rafterack.com/

I do not like the "raw" look of rafteracks but this is just for illustration.

maybe something like this but with wood beams

1222008112314.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back