Lower main avenue drain cover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, i've got a drain cover (as per the picture below...obviously taken off) that is sat smack bang in the middle of our walkway between the house and the garden. This is the main drain that runs through all the houses on the road and although the picture doesn't show it the cover is a layer of brick and the cover frame above the path/walkway. I would like to lower it by taking off the top layer of bricks and then laying it lower so as you see the 2 layers of bricks above the 2 drains (side by side) from OUR property i'd like to take 1 layer off and then lay it there but it just struck me that it was strange that it's in the middle of the walkway and raised quite high by a layer of bricks so would there be any reason or regulation (it looks old) that this would have needed to be like this or anyone think of any reason why i shouldn't be able to lower it ?

Thanks in advance

IMG_2714.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi all, i've got a drain cover (as per the picture below...obviously taken off) that is sat smack bang in the middle of our walkway between the house and the garden. This is the main drain that runs through all the houses on the road and although the picture doesn't show it the cover is a layer of brick and the cover frame above the path/walkway. I would like to lower it by taking off the top layer of bricks and then laying it lower so as you see the 2 layers of bricks above the 2 drains (side by side) from OUR property i'd like to take 1 layer off and then lay it there but it just struck me that it was strange that it's in the middle of the walkway and raised quite high by a layer of bricks so would there be any reason or regulation (it looks old) that this would have needed to be like this or anyone think of any reason why i shouldn't be able to lower it ?

Thanks in advance

View attachment 322570
You could lower that cover by about 75mm without any ill effects. It's looking very 'tired' in there though.

Ah,cool, 'i'll take that top layer off then. I don't think i can do about anything the state of the internal bits but this will be better.
Many Thanks

This is the main drain that runs through all the houses on the road
If the waste from other houses runs through that drain then it is a public sewer and it is the responsibility of the local water company to maintain it,

Sponsored Links
The original height of the manhole cover was maybe roughly at ground level before the ground was lowered?
The two inlets have been badly roughed into the original benching, they should enter the manhole at more of an angle, and have better finishing. Gunge is semi blocking the drains, and debris is catching on the rough sand and cement. Both inlets need at least rodding out but better to jet them.
The frame looks very rusty, it could be perished.

If you think its worth it you could take all the high top bit down to ground level and rebuild from there?

I'll take off the top layer and see where it is level too, I don't mind it being slightly higher than the top of the slabs as we'll eventually re-slab it all anyway so we can always raise it back up a bit and yeah, I'll clean all the inlets out before i put the new cover (and frame) back on) but there WAS a plinth outside the garage where the cover is that was the same height but that's not there now so yes, it might've been made to match that now you've said that.
Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back