lv downlight connections

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello first post :D

I live in a 3 year old house which was wired by an nic company.
not under builders warranty anymore

In the kitchen they have installed lv downlighters in the ceiling(6)

recently took them down to decorate and noticed that the mains wiring into the transformers was connected with 15a connector block, strip of 2 for each transformer, with the earths twisted round the cables and no insulation or box.

I dont think this is right ;should I

a) wrap some insulating tape round

b) put some sort of joint box round

The 12v side is installed in the same method.

What is the preferred method of doing this?

i also want to install some mains halogen lights elsewhere do i have to use heat resistant flex for the connection to the lights.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
All the connector strips should be enclosed in choc-boxes, like wot these are:

CHOCBOXA.jpg

CHOCBOXB.jpg

do not use insulating tape.

Also, the earths should be joined with choc-block, not twisted together.

Re the heat resistant flex - it depends entirely on the design of the light - see what the instructions say.

If you know the name of the company that installed them and they are NICIEC approved you could try asking them to come back and fix their work. Mention wanting to make a formal complaint etc. should save you the effort of sorting their mess out.

If you have no luck then Choc-blocks will solve the problem and they pass through the ceiling holes. One warning if the blocks have shape self-tapping screws be careful not to screw them into your finger as you put the cable grips on. I've done it too often and it hurts.

Just a thought.

Yes, contact the NIC and ask for an inspection with a view to work being put right.

Also, house may be 3 yo but what about NHBC cert?

However, one small drawback here: what if paperwork is produced by either of these organisations to say that when the house was built/work was done, there were only (say) two roses installed and the downlighters have been fitted since?

Sponsored Links
thanks to all who replied

I will use choc blocks but out of curiosity whts wrong with tape?
only curiosity remember! ;)

do these have to be used on the lv side

nhbc warranty still applies however i have had various ammounts of greif from the builders and dont want to get embroiled again over a relatively minor issue. ditto nic

I can ensure you these downlighters were fitted as standard and are in all my neighbours homes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back