Machine safety gone mad!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been a maintenance engineer for a number of years and when I started out it was a simple case of isolating the machine, locking off and attaching a sign with name and area of working.

Now we have to go through multiple electronic interlocks, load data into a computer, shut down in a certain controlled way and then go through the lock off procedure. With every step that you go through you get a message box pop up asking if you are sure you want to carry out that task. You tick the yes box and another box pops up saying if you do this certain functions will be disabled are you sure you want to continue?

FFS!!!! Why can't we just go back to the old ways where you were responsible for your own actions? There are even certain steps we have to take which must be authorised by a supervisor who may be an office bod, and who hasn't got a clue how the damn machine works anyway, and often ask us if we really need to perform that action to carry out a repair!

Has anybody else come across this overburdening level of safety?

Sponsored Links
I used to be a H&S rep at a place of work. I got fed up with the bureaucracy of regularly briefing staff of trivia like..... 'the hot water boiler in the kitchenette labeled !!HOT WATER!! dispenses hot water and users should take care when dispensing the same hot water, as it is a burn risk'. :evil::evil::evil:

I think they do it deliberately to make people panic and think they can't think for themselves. It's all part of the deliberate dumming down of the masses, also has something to do with bureacrats in the EU trying to make it appear to the public as though they have a reason to be paid to be there.

Sponsored Links
I think they do it deliberately to make people panic and think they can't think for themselves. It's all part of the deliberate dumming down of the masses, also has something to do with bureacrats in the EU trying to make it appear to the public as though they have a reason to be paid to be there.
Have you been smoking the chronic again Hawkster? You need to see someone about your paranoia.

Sponsored Links
Back