Made a mess of painting a door!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Painted an internal door at the weekend with Dulux water based gloss (mixed with a bit of Floetrol). My usual technique is to roller the door with a sponge sleeve and then lay off with a 3 inch fine finish brush and I have been pleased with the results in the past. However, this time was different!! For some reason I used a different brush to lay it off (still not sure why!!) and to say the end result was quite ridged is an understatement! I did try to sand and redo and whilst this has made it a little better, I'm still not happy with it.

I don't really what to sand again so would my only option be to use a chemical paint stripper and start again?

Sponsored Links
Sanding has got to be less work than stripping, you will need to rub down afterwards then prime & undercoat as well!

You could try going over the door with a good quality undercoat as that will have some degree of surface leveling effect.

Would you recommend an oil based undercoat for this rather than a water based one? Or do I have to use a water based one as I'm using a water based gloss?

This may also solve another problem - when I initially sanded the door I went down to wood and the water based gloss is rubbish at covering this so some kind of undercoat is probably the way to do this too.

Personally I prefer oil based, as the yellowing effect is not such a problem with undercoat as top coat and it is less prone to brushmarks that water based.

I am a bit of a stick in the mud I really don't like water based paint because of the very short open time (the Floetrol is a good idea) but you do get less yellowing with the water based top coat.

You will need to spot prime the bare areas, then use a proper undercoat not a primer/ undercoat, they tend to have less body as they need to be thin enough to soak in to bare areas.

Sponsored Links
Ditto with preferring oil based but the yellowing and the drying time has convinced me to go over to water based.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back