Magiglo Elite ME16T natural gas fire pops off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It works fine almost all the time.
But sometimes, unpredictably, after working OK for several hours it pops itself off. It will light up again fine, but when turned up full the pilot is not really strong enough to keep the thermocouple glowing. Works OK if turned down a little.
Is there anything I can do to stop this happening?

Sponsored Links
err - pun spotted thanks (though probably not without the big letters).
If necessary I will call back the installer - it's about six months in, but was OK at first.
What would be really HELPFUL would be suggestions for anything simple I could do to avoid wasting a day waiting for a gasman who won't come anyway.

Nobody on this forum will advise on working on gas appliances as they are strictly Corgi territory only :eek:

Call a gasman that is recommended and who will turn up. :D

Sponsored Links
BAHCO said:
Nobody on this forum will advise on working on gas appliances as they are strictly Corgi territory only :eek:
????
You have to be joking.
I wasn't actually going to work on the gas appliance of course.
What I am looking for is some suggestion as to why my gas fire might be behaving like this.
Like I said, I can call the guy back. But right now I'm balancing a day at home feeling irritated against occasional five-minute pauses in gas fire operation. The day at home is not winning.
Call a gasman that is recommended and who will turn up.
Can't do that. There is no such thing.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
there are some cowboys in this industry and all you want to do is TAR us all with the same brush

carry on and i wish you the best of luck

try balancing a day against work inspection

FWIW e me

FWIW the pilot is prob full of soot which was sorted out at the last service :rolleyes: ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

OD'd on cynicism, but that's how it feels.
If all else fails, I'll wait for the annual CORGI on the main boiler.
Could be worse.
Could be waiting for the ntl man :mad: :mad: :mad:

Is and was the pilot flame always low when the fire is turned up full.

With the fire OFF and the pilot OFF, have a hoover round the tubes etc where the pilot is. Theres a hole about 3mm diameter in one of the tubes, which can get blocked with fluff.

curlydon said:
Is and was the pilot flame always low when the fire is turned up full.
No. The pilot is normal almost all the time. Just sometimes when the fire has been on for a long time - like three or four hours - it gets a bit low. If I re-start immediately the pilot will be OK except when turned up full. If I leave it 5-10 minutes it will be fine.
Lurker - thanks for suggestion. There's no fluff.

Good thinking curlydon. Only other appliance is the CH boiler. There is no correlation between boiler activity and the fire misbehaving.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back