Magnaclean filter + it's effect on a diverter valve

micky p said:
they have to be made of plastic due to being a magnet inside and also cheaper to make and they are smoother when made of plastic.

They could have been made of brass, it's just as magnetic as plastic.

Sponsored Links
Actually Oilman thats not so!

Brass is diamagnetic so would have a different effect to plastic which is paramagnetic. It is used in RF inductances to reduce the value as opposed to ferromagnetic materials which increase the inductance.

Plastic has little effect on a magnetic field whereas brass has a negative susceptibility.

Plastic is about 10 times cheaper to produce than alloy and about 20 times cheaper than brass which cannot be moulded and would have the be soldered or low temp brazed.

The main problem is that the female tapping of the nut is just a little too loose and cross threading is very easy.

Tony

Well that's me told then, but for the purposes of this non-a.c. application it wouldn't make any difference especially since its A BRASS NUT THAT'S SCREWED ON THE BODY.

Plastic is about 10 times cheaper to produce than alloy and about 20 times cheaper than brass which cannot be moulded and would have the be soldered or low temp brazed.

You'd better inform the brass foundries they cannot form brass in moulds then.

No doub't you will have noticed it is easier to get plastics cross threaded than metals :rolleyes:

Sorry, I should have said that its not economic to mould brass in the thin wall that would be needed in a production version.

The thread is moulded onto the plastic but would need to be cut on a brass item.

My father worked for a year as a trainee draughtsman in a brass foundry and when I was about 13 he took me round the works. Crane & Co.

British Gas are using power flushing Mangacleans.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
My father worked for a year as a trainee draughtsman in a brass foundry and when I was about 13 he took me round the works. Crane & Co.

Agile said:
15/4/2006 11.51 am "Powermax 155 Boiler"

My father had a PhD in electrical engineering but he still could not mend a boiler!

He would just have called someone from the Yellow Pages.

Interesting career.

'From your cross examination of the whole diverter valve story I am guessing you are a lawyer.'

'Whichever way you look at it it's a job for the intelligent, not for lawyers.'

Paul Barker + sime10

Well well chaps, i didn't realise it was open season on having a go at DIY'rs. I thought the point of this site was to offer advice for those who want to try some DIY or for those who want the professionals in (but do not want to get ripped off).

U know what (in keeping with your earlier insult), I unreservedly apologise in asking for any advice from such an esteemed professional as yourself. I take it that because 'Agile' and 'ChrisR' must have mistakenly offered advice to me earlier, you will see that they are appropriately reprimanded for there actions. :rolleyes:

Give me a break, if ur just gona take the p*ss......don't bother posting a reply. When someone asks advice for something i may know about, i don't take the p*ss and then offer my opinion......... i just do or i don't reply. I'd appreciate it if, in any of my future posts + if u feel u want to help, u just do that Paul.

To all other replies, i appreciate your help - cheers

peca27 said:
DIY'rs. I thought the point of this site was to offer advice for those who want to try some DIY or for those who want the professionals in (but do not want to get ripped off).

You dont pay to use this site or the people your asking advice from and..this is the internet.

ok rob884, i know i don't pay to ask advice on this forum..........just like nobody pays me when i offer advice on this site also.......the last time i checked that's how forum's work.

That doesn't mean u can write what u want....... if someone insults u are u just gona ignore it? if so that's your call. All i'm saying is when someone asks me for advice i don't insult them as part of my reply. If everyone did that this forum wouldn't have lasted as long as it has.

For example rob884, you've offered your opinion and not added an insult have you?

Agile said:
Actually Oilman thats not so!

Brass is diamagnetic so would have a different effect to plastic which is paramagnetic. It is used in RF inductances to reduce the value as opposed to ferromagnetic materials which increase the inductance.

Plastic has little effect on a magnetic field whereas brass has a negative susceptibility.
I can't remember that last time I read such a load of old bollocks.

oilman's post was quite clearly in the context of the Magnaclean, and you're implying that plastic has been chosen over brass because it would adversely affect the efficacy of the magnet. Or perhaps you're just taking the tenuous opportunity to use some big words :rolleyes:

peca27 said:
.......the last time i checked that's how forum's work.

That doesn't mean u can write what u want.......
Yes it does.

<insult>You smell like a suppurating Yak's anus.</insult>

See how it works?

if someone insults u are u just gona ignore it?
The choice is yours - that's the beauty of it being a forum.

Can't you tell the difference between an insulting poster and an informative one mixed with a wry sense of humour? The other guys would have known where I was coming from. You have completely missed the mark, right over your head. Didn't you glean the gems of information I gave you?

Are you a lawyer then? To take it as an offence I gues so.

Interesting that you didn't take the positive of my post which was to give very good advice, but chose to misrepresent my wit and insult me instead. But then this is the internet and for as many people there are with a good sense of humour that appreciate when they are being given free of charge excellent advice there is always one who takes offence at every turn.

apologies mate

i'm an architect...........not a lawyer...........just wasn't 'intelligent' enough

Its important the its fitted on the return so it can pick up magnetic debris from the rads.

As long as its after the last rad it does not matter where on the pipe.

It will work in any orientation as long as you can manage cleaning it and spilling its contents.

The diverter failure on your model was due to a faulty design and not because of dirt.

The magnaclean is primarily to prevent the plate HE getting blocked.

Tony

its best practice to fit on return however it can be fitted anywhere on the system if you cannot fit it on return

http://www.cheapcentralheating.co.uk/
http://www.plumber-in-bramley.co.uk/
http://www.magnaclean.org/

But all that discussion was FOUR years ago!

By now they have probably forgotten all about Magnacleans.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back