Magnaclean Filter

Sponsored Links
Water Systems said:
brentwoodheating said:
Well said Chris. If you follow the Screwfix Forum you'll know that Water Systems is a PITA.

That mean brighter than you. Those who come for help get it.

Hmm I always liked the saying "the cost of the best advice is small when compared to the amount of money wasted without it."
Often find that well meaning people such as yourself offer advice which is best kept to themselves. SO far having read a fair few of your posts you've not had much to say and you've been saying it too loudly.

ChrisRoberts said:
Water Systems said:
brentwoodheating said:
Well said Chris. If you follow the Screwfix Forum you'll know that Water Systems is a PITA.

That mean brighter than you. Those who come for help get it.

Hmm I always liked the saying "the cost of the best advice is small when compared to the amount of money wasted without it."
Often find that well meaning people such as yourself offer advice which is best kept to themselves. SO far having read a fair few of your posts you've not had much to say and you've been saying it too loudly.

Not loud, just better with brains behind it.

Sponsored Links
We fit a range of boilers with secondary heat exchangers which are partially condensing, and in my opinion they are the most cost effective high efficiency boilers you can buy.

Indeed, so confident am I, that I fitted one in my own house when it was partially demolished and rebuilt late in 2005. Gas explosion (only kidding).

So, if indeed he did praise the virtues of this type of unit on Screwfix, I give my support to Agile on this one - with the caveat that the end result depends on the execution, rather than the basic principle itself.

simond said:
We fit a range of boilers with secondary heat exchangers which are partially condensing, and in my opinion they are the most cost effective high efficiency boilers you can buy.

Indeed, so confident am I, that I fitted one in my own house when it was partially demolished and rebuilt late in 2005. Gas explosion (only kidding).

So, if indeed he did praise the virtues of this type of unit on Screwfix, I give my support to Agile on this one - with the caveat that the end result depends on the execution, rather than the basic principle itself.

I would NEVER fit a boiler with a secondary heat exchanger - which model are you on about?. The fans is on in the hot flue gasses for a start. They are a poor attempt to make a non-condensing boiler into a condensing. Companies did this so as not to design and make new burners, heat exchangers, etc, and use existing parts from the old ranges.

They are a hodge-podge compromise that is second rate. These sort of boilers gave condensing boilers a bad name. Then just as the British companies dropped them, they converted all their old non-condensing range to these bolt-ons. So Ideal will have the ICOS condenser designed from start as a condenser and they also have some crap condenser conversions after April last year.

Best avoided.

I am talking about a Kidd VHE boiler.

The late Archie Kidd designed a condensing boiler and demonstrated it to the Institute of Mechanical Engineers in 1981. Long before they became fashionable this clever man understood the benefits of saving energy and building in longevity.

A Kidd boiler can confidently be expected to last 30 years. Many have already completed nearly a quarter of a century saving energy and reducing emissions.

Oil units are SEDBUK A and gas are at the very top end of SEDBUK B. This was with no visible changes from the 1981 design.

Owners include the Highgrove Estate, the Late Mother Theresa, a number of environmentally conscious rock stars (long before they bought Toyota Priuses), and a significant list of our discerning customers. We are installing two at the moment. They start at 90,000 BTU but are big and heavy.

The boiler uses a pressure jet burner, a technology which is time proven and reliable. It also enables us to convert an oil Kidd into a gas one in less than an hour, if required.

So I vehemently disagreee with your comments, perhaps you were not aware of the history of the condensing high efficiency boiler.

simond said:
I am talking about a Kidd VHE boiler.

The late Archie Kidd designed a condensing boiler and demonstrated it to the Institute of Mechanical Engineers in 1981. Long before they became fashionable this clever man understood the benefits of saving energy and building in longevity.

Condensing boilers have been around in Holland and Germany since the 1960s, Kidd wasn’t so clever at all. The Dutch pioneered them in the 1950s, with 90% plus in Holland being condensers. The best condensing boilers are Dutch or German by a mile. The British screwed it up model after model, except for one, the Kidd which is a heavy built massive floor standing boiler – it lasts because it is built like a tank and cost about the same. And how many do they sell? Must make one a week. One model needs a U16 meter doesn’t it? Makes it a commercial job.

Boiler that are suitable fro the vast majority of British homes, well the only decent British wall mounted condensing boiler that is worth anything is the Quantum, who give a 10 guarantee on the stainless steel exchanger. The Glow Worm is V good but a rebadged Vaillant so does not count. The rest are poor to say the least. Potterton/Baxi are poor as are Ideal – getting better though bit by bit. One of my favourites is the Atmos (Dutch), which has the whole of the back panel as the heat exchanger. Well thought out and well made.

Another favourite is the Sogno (non-condensing) with the no-flame burner.

So I vehemently disagreee with your comments, perhaps you were not aware of the history of the condensing high efficiency boiler.

I will wipe the floor with you on that one. Read above for starters.

Fantastic! Two salesmen battling it out. It's like watching women mud-wrestle. :D

I notice on this particular ocassion Softus, you are not going through each of the above Gentlemans statements & picking them to bits as you have a penchant for doing...a little out of your depth perhaps....

Bamber gaspipe said:
I notice on this particular ocassion Softus, you are not going through each of the above Gentlemans statements & picking them to bits as you have a penchant for doing...a little out of your depth perhaps....
Forgive me that should read..occasion.. &.. Gentlemens

Bamber gaspipe said:
I notice on this particular ocassion Softus, you are not going through each of the above Gentlemans statements & picking them to bits
My, how observant you are. :eek:

As for the foolish salesmen being gentlemen, you must know more about them that this forum has revealed. :rolleyes:

...as you have a penchant for doing
I do it when it makes sense to do it.

...a little out of your depth perhaps....
If it makes you happy to put it like that then be my guest - the insult, that you appear to have intended, has fallen on stony ground. FYI, to save you searching, I've never, ever, ever, (etc.) claimed to know anything condensing boilers.

I presume, judging by your weakly ascerbic and ineffective post, that you have some grievance against me; you'd be foolish to assume that I know what that grievance is, and wise to assume that I don't care.

I, for one, would be mildly amused to discover what Softus does think he knows about. Precious little evidence bandied about on this forum.

A man of mystery; all I know is he can cut and paste, and his spell checker only seems to work on other people's posts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back