main earth bonding to gas pipe

Sponsored Links
Does an external run of pipework before entry alter anything?
What if, FAS, the external run was several hundred metres long?

After all, isn't the best place to bond where the pipe emerges from the ground?
I would have thought that the best place to bond itwould be where it becomes an extraneous-conductive-part, i.e. where it enters the equipotential zone of the installation.

Which is not by the meter, it's where the pipe(s) enter the house.

Sponsored Links
I would have thought that the best place to bond itwould be where it becomes an extraneous-conductive-part, i.e. where it enters the equipotential zone of the installation. Which is not by the meter, it's where the pipe(s) enter the house.
I agree completely, and (as we have often discussed) nor is it on the consumer's side of a plastic meter or 'insulating section' of pipework.

Kind Regards, John

Does an external run of pipework before entry alter anything?
What if, FAS, the external run was several hundred metres long?
Probably not the case here but would it alter the situation were it the other side of the wall and under floorboards?
Also, does bonding it inside of the wall or outside make any difference?
It may not be accessible inside (under floorboards).

After all, isn't the best place to bond where the pipe emerges from the ground?
I would have thought that the best place to bond it would be where it becomes an extraneous-conductive-part, i.e. where it enters the equipotential zone of the installation.
As above.

Which is not by the meter, it's where the pipe(s) enter the house.
Not forgetting 'where practicable', are you saying it would be more of a danger to people outside and/or to people inside if bonded outside rather than inside?

I agree completely, and (as we have often discussed) nor is it on the consumer's side of a plastic meter or 'insulating section' of pipework.
When I said 'where it emerges from the ground' I did not mean before the meter.
It was in comparison to bonding after a run along the wall.

When I said 'where it emerges from the ground' I did not mean before the meter. It was in comparison to bonding after a run along the wall
I realised that, but was reminding us that the regs are a bit irrational about this, given the purpose of main bonding. Pipework on the consumer's side of an insulating meter or 'insert' clearly is not an extraneous-conductive part, and therefore does not need main bonding - and to bond (only) that usually actually leaves some non-bonded extraneous-c-p within the premeses, hence technically not a fully equipotential zone.

Kind Regards, John

Also, does bonding it inside of the wall or outside make any difference?
I see nothing wrong with bonding it outside at the point of entry.

I do see something wrong with bonding it outside some distance from the point of entry.

Not forgetting 'where practicable',
No reason why the bonding conductor should not run along the outside to a convenient place to bring it inside.

I see nothing wrong with bonding it outside at the point of entry. I do see something wrong with bonding it outside some distance from the point of entry.
Is that just from a regulation standpoint or an electrical one as well?
From the regulation viewpoint, I think it's uncertain as to whether bonding anywhere outside is technically compliant. From the electrical viewpoint, I imagine that BAS was thinking of the (pretty improbable) possibility that the pipe may one day be interferred with (cut, or something insulating inserted) between the point of bonding and the point of entry to the premises. In some circumstances, that could leave an undbounded extraneous-c-p entering the property.

Kind Regards, John

Fair enough.

Going back to the OP, then.

If CU and gas meter are near each other then the new gas pipe goes outside to run along the wall before re-entering, why can the bonding wire not do the same?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back