Main Stop Tap Saga

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a plumber over fixing in a shower for me. When turning off the mains stop tap outside the house he ended up snapping of the tap head just leaving the spindle. I called out the water board who said it's nothing to do with them but as a mater of courtesy they switched on the water. I left the house and returned the next day, the shower installation was completed so we went to try it. Noticing that the cold water tank wasn't filling up and after some further investigation it led us to the mains stop top. To my horror as I entered my hand down the hole to access the stop tap it was very wet leaving me to assume that when the water board turned on the tap they must have damaged the valve as well. I phoned them and complained but they said its nothing to do with them its on your property, I said if that was the case why did you touch it, they replied well it was out of courtesy. I need help with 2 things

1. How much will cost to get this rectified?

2. Who is responsible for this and how do I get them to pay for it.

Sponsored Links
I dont see how you can blame your plumber when it was your stopcock which failed.

Just dig in your pocket to pay for it to be replaced as Kev says.

Tony

Sponsored Links
OK OK I realise, its gonna cost me, how much should I expect?
Do you need someone who has expertise in this matter?

Its down a hole the length of your forearm. I could dig it and expose as much as possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back