Main Supply fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi again,
The company main supply box says 415v 60A. on the front.
Why does it state this?

I need to know if I need to ask Southern Electricity to upgrade my supply as I am fitting a 10.5Kw Shower which will pull an extra 45A above what we use now?

Thanks,
Amy

Sponsored Links
Please post a picture of the incoming supply and the connections to your consumer unit.
Will the shower be supplied off the existing consumer unit?

Hi again,
The company main supply box says 415v 60A. on the front.
Why does it state this?
because that is what it is 415volts with a max load of 60amps

I need to know if I need to ask Southern Electricity to upgrade my supply as I am fitting a 10.5Kw Shower which will pull an extra 45A above what we use now?

Thanks,
Amy

are you qualified to work on electrics in a bathroom (PART P work) or is the person doing the work?

wether the supply is adequate isn't the issue its the existing demand that needs assessing
what have you already got in your fuseboard/consumer unit - fuses or RCD and Mcb's etc

what are your domestic situations?

3 bed house with wife and 2 kids or 1 bed flat with just you?

if it's just you then odds are you won't have the hob on while in the shower, or the washing machine etc...

Sponsored Links
So if its a 415v feed is there a transformer in there?
If so the max load is 415x60 so 24kW ish and over 100A at 230v?

Not part P qualified. so will need external inspection and testing.
3 bed small house with 2 adults 2 teenagers.
Current CU has fuses - 4 circuits Cooker, Upstairs Lights, downstairs lights, all sockets.

New shower will be fed from new circuit in 16mm T&E.and New CU is split with 100A isolator, 80A RCD, 63A RCD.
45A MCB for the shower.

are you qualified to work on electrics in a bathroom (PART P work) or is the person doing the work?

Judging by the lack of response and the fact you have now put another thread on here about using 16mm cable! i would strongly recommend that you A. stop and B. get a PART P Qualified electrician to do the work as this is notifiable work.

kevindgas said:
because that is what it is 415volts with a max load of 60amps

Are you sure ? have you been to the OP's house ? Could the supply fuse have been upgraded ? Could the head by active 3 phase or inactive and converted to single phase?

What has that got to do with the OP's questions ?

wether the supply is adequate isn't the issue its the existing demand that needs assessing

Surely the 2 are inter twinned

what have you already got in your fuseboard/consumer unit - fuses or RCD and Mcb's etc

It's not what varient they are, it's what volume, use and size.

OP what Kevingas is asking is for you to supply a schedule of your fuse board / consumer units circuits and fuse values.

This is a good base point for considering the load requirements, to be more accurate you would need to confirm quite a lot of information.

Such as

Table 6.2 - Allowance for diversity
Note the following abbreviations :
X is the full load current of the largest appliance or circuit
Y is the full load current of the second largest appliance or circuit
Z is the full load current of the remaining appliances or circuits

Type of final circuit Type of premises
Households Small shops, stores, offices Hotels, guest houses
Lighting 66% total demand 90% total demand 75% total demand
Heating and power 100% up to 10 A + 50% balance 100%X + 75%(Y+Z) 100%X + 80%Y + 60%Z
Cookers 10 A + 30% balance + 5 A for socket 100%X + 80%Y + 60%Z 100%X + 80%Y + 60%Z
Motors (but not lifts) 100%X + 80%Y + 60%Z 100%X + 50%(Y+Z)
Instantaneous water heaters 100%X + 100%Y + 25%Z 100%X + 100%Y + 25%Z 100%X + 100%Y + 25%Z
Thermostatic water heaters 100% 100% 100%
Floor warming installations 100% 100% 100%
Thermal storage heating 100% 100% 100%
Standard circuits 100%X + 40%(Y+Z) 100%X + 50%(Y+Z) 100%X + 50%(Y+Z)
Sockets and stationary equip. 100%X + 40%(Y+Z) 100%X + 75%(Y+Z) 100%X + 75%Y + 40%Z

Water heaters (thermostatic)

No diversity is allowable, so the total load will be:
(2 x 6) + (7 x 3) kW = 12 + 21kw = 33kw
This gives a total single-phase current of I = 33 x 4.17 = 137.6 A

Water heaters (instantaneous)

100% of largest plus 100% of next means that in effect there is no allowable diversity.
Single-phase current thus = 2 x 3 x 4.17 = 25.0 A

Cookers

100% of largest = 6 x 4.17A = 25.0 A
80% of second = 80 x 6 x 4.17A = 20.0 A
=100
60% of remainder = 60 x 4 x 4.17 A = 10.0 A
=100
Total for cookers = 55.O A

Discharge lighting

90% of total which must be increased to allow for power factor and control gear losses.

Lighting current = 12 x 4.17 x 1.8 x 90 = 81.1 A

Ring circuits

First circuit 100%, 50 current is 30 A
75% of remainder = 7 x 30 x 75 = 157.5 A
Total current demand for ring circuits = 187.5 A
Total single phase current demand = 486.2 A
Since a perfect balance is assumed, three phase line current = 486.2 A
=3
= 162 A

Could you post a picture of your fuse board and the service head please.

the reason for PART P is simple it appears from the other posted thread that the reason for this question is because the OP is trying to fit a 10KW shower on a 16mm T&E cable in a bathroom!!
it's either that or the OP is doing work in more than 1 house!

And a new CU to go with it.

Will post picture when I find the lead for the phone.

CU
Fuse circuits at present are 30A Cooker, 30A sokets, 5A Downstairs lighting, 5A upstairs lighting, one spare fuse unused and one empty way.
Give me a moment and I'll create the schedullrequested.

OP is trying to fit a 10KW shower on a 16mm T&E cable in a bathroom!!
it's either that or the OP is doing work in more than 1 house!

No only one bathroom and only one house.
Is the exclamation mark for the 16mm cable for a 45A load or the shower going in a bathroom?

Amy, just to clear something up, your fuse carrier is rated to 415 volts because it could be used on a 3 phase supply, where there is 400 volts between the 3 phases. Your supply is 230 volts. There is no transformer in your house.

The carrier may say 60 amps on it - this is the maximum you can fit inside it, but the actual fuse within could be as low as 40 amps, it sounds like you have an old installation, it would be worth getting it tested.

In other words, what is written on your fuse carrier is NO indication of the supply you have. ;)

Why do you need 16mm² cable? Who will be inspecting?

Is the exclamation mark for the 16mm cable for a 45A load or the shower going in a bathroom?
16mm cable! - seems unusual is it a long run?

as post above says advisable to get supply checked as could be old,
a new CU for the whole house or just a seperate one for the shower?
the former would look tidier but either would do the job.

but passes under insulation of 4 to 5 inches in the loft or if it goes above the insulation the loft can get quite hot.

Seemed the results I got from TLC's calculator were just on the cusp so I decided to go with 16mm though I would rather have gone for 10mm and not had the anaconda wrestling match I will have with the 16mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back