Mains stop tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, my brother is having a kitchen fitted sonto save him time and money I took his old one out. His stop cock inside the house is seized solid and will it turn off, so we tried the one outside, this just turns no problem but won't turn the water off. We rang the waterboard and told them we had to to bend a pipe inside my house to remove the kitchen and that none of the stop taps worked and we now have no water. They said it's not our problem to supply you with water and that we need to get a plumber in to dig the road up and replace the tap outside on tge pavement. Are these people on drugs? I'm in Manchester so it's united utilities

Many thanks
Anthony

Sponsored Links
noney82";p="1997978 said:
Hello all, my brother is having a kitchen fitted sonto save him time and money I took his old one out. His stop cock inside the house is seized solid and will it turn off, so we tried the one outside, this just turns no problem but won't turn the water off. We rang the waterboard and told them we had to to bend a pipe inside my house to remove the kitchen and that none of the stop taps worked and we now have no water. They said it's not our problem to supply you with water and that we need to get a plumber in to dig the road up and replace the tap outside on tge pavement. Are these people on drugs? I'm in Manchester so it's united utilities
noney82";p="1997978 said:
Are you on drugs? First you say you can't stop the water, then you say you have no water. Try to explain more clearly and concisely.

This starts off as your brothers house and finishes up as your house!

We all like to help but you have not explained the situation very well.

Sponsored Links
sorry i posted my first reply on my iphone, not easy to do when writing a essay.

i will start again......

Hello all, my brother is having a kitchen fitted so to save him time and money I took his old kitchen out. His stop cock inside the house is seized solid and will not turn off, so we tried the one outside in the street, this turns no problem but won't turn the water off to his house. I rang the water board(and acted like it was my house as my brother isn't very good on the phone) and told them my plumber had to to bend a pipe inside the house to remove the kitchen due to none of the isolation valves worked and we now have no water.( there is no water because the pipe from the stop tap inside the house is bent over to stop water coming out so it didn't flood the house as the taps wont turn off.) The water people said it's not their problem to supply us with water and that we need to get a plumber in to dig the road up and replace the tap outside on tge pavement.

So i a nut shell i cut the mains pipe in the house and bent it over on its self because my brothers stop tap and the one on the street outside his house wont turn off. so the only way to get the water back flowing through the house is for me to cut the bent bit of pipe out and re-connect it to the rest of the pipework that goes throughout the house but i will have to do this live and get wet again which i don't mind doing. but what if in the future there is a leak there is no way of isolating the water to his house. so my question is are the water board responsible for the stop tap in the street

sorry for being a THICK mancunian Joe-90 but when your trying to explain things in text it isn't always easy to get your point across

He's a Mancunian - say no more. :rolleyes:

your a doyle nuff said :rolleyes:
---------------------------------------------

you have two choices bonny lad either freeze the pipe under the stoptap and replace it

OR

cut it back and snatch a pushfit and new valve live (use a carrier bag on your hands ) you wont get as wet ;)

He's a Mancunian - say no more. :rolleyes:

your a doyle nuff said :rolleyes:
---------------------------------------------

you have two choices bonny lad either freeze the pipe under the stoptap and replace it

OR

cut it back and snatch a pushfit and new valve live (use a carrier bag on your hands ) you wont get as wet ;)

Thank you for the reply, I got told you couldn't freeze lead pipe as good as copper(incoming is lead)

Have a shave hook ready too , those 6lb/7lb LL don't fit too good. :eek: :D , if yer good it will take you all of 5 min to shave that lead down , & if you aint too good :eek: :eek: :mrgreen:

Had one today , that seam can be a PITA ;) , got the wiping gear out in the end. :eek: :eek: ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back