Mains switch in Consumer Unit is only Single Pole

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I noticed today that the mains switch in our CU is a single pole (63a fused) switch (only Live attached) - when did they do away with Double Pole mains switch and wouldnt Double Pole be safer than single pole so that when you turn off the main switch in the CU it kills both live and the neutral circuit?

The CU is an GE euroline and the main switch is GE LT1

17005944_10211465240880531_1576340255_n.jpg

Sponsored Links
No one has done away with double pole mains switches. Maybe the regs in your country don't or didn't require it.

No one has done away with double pole mains switches. Maybe the regs in your country don't or didn't require it.

Do you personally think its more safer to have a DP isolator fitted than a single pole to kill both live and neutral? (surmising you are an electrician by the way)

Sponsored Links
What about Northern counties such as Donegal and Sligo?

Or do you perhaps mean "in the Republic of Ireland?"

Are you going to tell me it isn't in the Northern quarter of the island?

Are Down and Antrim Eastern, rather than Northern?

And you say Sligo is in the West. So obviously not in the South. So you suggest DP switches are permitted there?

I'm pretty sure that the difference in electrical rules does not relate to points of the compass, but to which country has jurisdiction. The UK is not the same as the Republic.

Last edited:
Interesting. Any idea of the thoughts behind this?
Almost all installations in the south of Ireland are neutralised (i.e. TN-C-S). I think it may be the Distribution System Operator (DSO), i.e. the ESB, who do not like the neutral tail to be switched.

Are you going to tell me it isn't in the Northern quarter of the island?

Are Down and Antrim Eastern counties, rather than Northern ones?

I'm pretty sure that the difference in electrical rules does not relate to points of the compass, but to which country has jurisdiction. The UK is not the same as the Republic.
Sligo is in Connacht - the western province. Sligo is in the west of Ireland, end of story.

So your statement about the installations in the South of Ireland does not apply to Sligo, because it is in the Northern half of the island of Ireland, not in the South.

I gather you find yourself unable to refer to the Republic.

I see you think you can include the ones that are part of the United Kingdom.

I suppose I could say that Perth was in Portugal if I felt like it. Derry is in Sweden.

Sponsored Links
Back