Mains water connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a slight weep on the join between the black allathene pipe and the copper where the mains water enters my kitchen after the water board fitted a meter. They came to fix it but it’s made it worse!

Rather than call them out again (I don’t have time as my new kitchen is being fitted on Monday) I’m looking at how to fix it myself. Obviously isolating at the outside stop tap and then carrying out the fix.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions please?

Thanks

Attachments

• 5CEF4C77-F292-4853-BC47-0BB4155929A3.jpeg
    5CEF4C77-F292-4853-BC47-0BB4155929A3.jpeg
    212.4 KB · Views: 155
Sponsored Links
You want to swap that fitting for a Philmac or Plasson one with the correct insert for copper.

The picture looks strange (or i’ve had too much barcardi)

I'd be tee-ing off for the outside tap before you get to that water meter if it's going behind a kitchen cupboard.

Thanks for that advice, they look great fittings.

Found a local supplier of Plasson and they’ve sold me a nice 21.5mm to 15mm fitting. Hopefully that should do the trick.

Attachments

• 96593E14-DAB1-4A80-AAF1-CA29731B7FD6.jpeg
    96593E14-DAB1-4A80-AAF1-CA29731B7FD6.jpeg
    152.1 KB · Views: 103
Sponsored Links
Well, it surfaces in my kitchen there. There’s a small amount of renovation screed on it but not that much. Is that a problem?

Will that cold mains pipe be running through an UFH poured screed?

You beat me to it @Madrab :)

I wouldn't want screed anywhere near that pesky alkathene! I would have had the whole lot replaced inside with mdpe and jointed up to the alkathene outside.
I'd at least get it wrapped in something that won't react with it! Denso tape perhaps.

Oh no. I was in fear you might say something like that. I’m not really too sure what I can do now as the screed has been put down.

So.... the alkathene has been in the sand and cement screed of the house for 50 years and 4 months ago a 5mm Level It 2 renovation screed was out down to level my ground floor. Yesterday that last bit was screeded in order to screed over the overboard panels of UFH that I’ve laid.

Will the be a problem with the original sand and cement screed against the alkathene? How about the new renovation screed against it? That’s a product called Level It 2.

Appreciate your help and advice as the new kitchen goes in tomorrow.

Thanks.

You beat me to it @Madrab :)

I wouldn't want screed anywhere near that pesky alkathene! I would have had the whole lot replaced inside with mdpe and jointed up to the alkathene outside.

What is the difference between Alkathene and MDPE?

The initial concern was the overlaying formers.

Will the formers be taking the UFH pipewrk and then another screed poured over that, encasing the pipe?

If so ... 2 noteworthy areas - 1 that @dilalio mentions that any pipework running through cement should really be ducted or at least coated against direct contact. Is it the end of the world, probably not as it's been in there for years. You certainly don't want a join covered though.

The other point is a cold water main running through or in contact with a heated thermal mass isn't the best thing either.

The old alkathene is very different to the modern MDPE.

Both can be termed as alkathene but the older pipe wasn't as advance in chemical composition and construction I believe. There were also numerous variants/types, some were thick walled low density other thin walled, some are susceptible to hardening/leaching/cracking especially after 30 odd years in the ground or in contact with modern materials

Cool, that makes sense, thanks.

So, in that area the white panels on the floor are where there is no UFH and the white panels are polystyrene so won’t conduct heat and therefore no movement. There is no UFH fitted under my units or kitchen island etc.

I’ve also left a gap around the join from
Alkathene to copper as I’m going to change that fitting today to the Plasson fitting that was suggested. This fitting will be under the kick plinths and not in any screed as suggested.

I guess the only concern that is left is that a small amount of the alkathene that is in contact with the Level It 2. I guess when I change the fitting for the Plasson I could give it a good wiggle and try to remove any that is in contact? Or is that not worth it?

Photo attached to give more context and show what I mean.

Attachments

• 753C160C-E807-4893-8FD2-272847D41F86.jpeg
    753C160C-E807-4893-8FD2-272847D41F86.jpeg
    307.4 KB · Views: 71

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back