Maintaining temperature in new empty building?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm managing a building with a similar design to a 3 floor Travel-Lodge, but where occupants stay long term. The building is just over a year old and when it was handed over we were told that unoccupied flats needed to be maintained at 14*C because it was a new build and cold could have a negative impact. As a result we have had to pay £200-£300 per empty flat for the first year.

1. We still have about 20 out of 50 flats unoccupied, so my question is do we still need to keep the heating on in empty flats now the building is over a year old?

2. The digital thermostats can't be set between 6*C and 14*C, so which temp should we choose?

3. Why were we advised to keep the empty flats reasonably warm and is this advice long-term or just for a period after a building is completed?

Thanks!

N.B. Probably should have said the unoccupied flats are completely unfurnished, no carpets, nothing.

Sponsored Links
i don't understand why you can't set the stats to 14C

for the money you are spending on heating you could buy some new stats

It might be to control condensation (new builds are intrinsically wet, since concrete and plaster are made of water with added solids), but you really ought to ask the person who told you.

I can set the stats to 14*C, but any lower they just go to the off position, kicking in anyway below 6*C to protect pipes.

We don't have contact with our Director of Property as he has since resigned, but I'm sure the issue must be relevant to other new / empty flats.

There is a document called "Mothballing Buildings" that you might be able to find by Web search.

Sponsored Links
I thought you would be better served in plumbing.

Moved to building.

Surely this is a heating issue rather than building?

It seems illogical to say its better in plumbing and then move it to building?

Are a mad Mod 7 ?

Tony

I visit a lot of empty flats and very few are having background heating.

If its a modern block then adjoining properties, if heated, will usually maintain a temperature of about 12° at least in the empty flat.

As suggested, changing the thermostat will be a cheap way to be able to set backgroung heating to about 10°.

I expect the builders asked for 14° to prevent drying cracks or dampness although I dont see that as requiring as much as 14°.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back