Garage Conversion commenced but need advice of flat roof!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have the go ahead to start our garage conversion. The garage is attached to the side of our house, at the back of it is a utility room which was already there when we moved in 14 years ago.

The building inspector is coming out this week to give us guidance on what to do and what material to use so that we don't waste any time or money buying stuff before hand.
We have already put the electrics in (extra sockets) so that bit is completed.

If anyone out there had done a garage conversion, can you please let me know - need all the help we can get..lol!

One thing is worrying us, about 3 years ago we had a leak in the flat roof of the garage, so we replaced some boards and refelted it properly, since then it has been bone dry and no one problem BUT we have been left with stains on the boards here and there, at one glance the patches look wet, but you can touch them and they are sound and perfectly dry - will the building inspector demand we replace the roof again because of these patches....we are terrified that he will want us to do this as it will put our conversion back about 6 months as we are on a tight budget?

If anyone has any idea what this inspector will think then please let us know!

I would love to hear from anyone who has done a similar project - anyone insulated their flat roof and had to put air vents in the facia boarding and holes in all the joist to allow adequet ventilation? This is what we have been told we will have to do.

Cheers
Ian & Susan
Anxiously waiting urgent replies...

Sponsored Links
susandan said:
I would love to hear from anyone who has done a similar project - anyone insulated their flat roof and had to put air vents in the facia boarding and holes in all the joist to allow adequet ventilation? This is what we have been told we will have to do.
This is straight forward and cheap to do. Do you have fascia board flat on the wall or a soffit underneath ?

You can stop worring about the roofing felt as it's only 3yrs old.

Our roof has similar stains - it was reroofed about 2 years ago - and the inspector didn't mention it - as long as its not leaking now its OK. We are going to retreat the timbers against rot however.

We too have to install circular soffit vents at (I think) 200mm centres along the fascia board. We are going to cover them up with guttering on one side and the other is facing next door anyways... :D

We have noggins between the rafters (half way along) and we will have to drill ventilation holes in them to allow the air to pass across the roof space.

Good luck with your conversion...did you get my piccies?

masona said:
susandan said:
Do you have fascia board flat on the wall or a soffit underneath ?

The fascia boards are on the joists, you can see the inside of the fascia board from inside the garage, the joists resting on the brick wall, the side of the garage is on the side of the house. Will it be one vent inbetween every joist? Here's a pic and to the right you will see one of the stains I mentioned!
Pictures%2Ffascia%20from%20inside.JPG

We have been told that we will have to drill holes in the joists to allow the air to circulate better?

We will be speaking to the building inspector in the morning before arranging for him to come out sometime this week. We are just so anxious to get started properly!

Peebs.....thanks for the pics, sorry I didn't get back to you, just haven't had the time but it's much appriciated and your garage is looking great!

Let us know how you are dry lining the walls inside, are you building a cavity wall or just insulating ect?

Cheers
Ian & Susan

Sponsored Links
Right...the building inspector came out this morning, very quick, didn't expect him to be so quick! Everything is much clearer now and we didn't have anything to worry about..

We have to put small circular vents at the front and the back of the garage in the fascia boarding, then drill 1 inch holes a foot apart in all the ceiling joists to allow the air to circulate above the insulation when the ceiling is complete! The building inspector has to check that we have put in all the holes first before we carry on with insulation.

Thanks to anyone that has posted replys...

cheers
Ian & Susan

I look forward to posting pics as the work progresses, hoping that it may help others!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back