Make your own....Trunking

D

dextrous

I wish to make my own surface mounted trunking for my log cabin, as the ones that are available aren't really suitable for what I need. Is it acceptable to use timber (routed out on one side for the cable and shaped on the "visible" side), or is this a potential fire risk?

Sponsored Links
Although there are regulations concerning the mounting of electrical wiring and fittings on/near combustible surfaces, I wouldn't consider this to be massively different to clipping a cable to a wooden joist in the loft. Yes, the wiring will be fully enclosed, but as long as you derate the current carrying capacity of the cable accordingly as you would with any other trunking then this should mitigate any heat issues. If it really worries you, you could run round or oval conduit inside the timber.

You can buy wooden trunking / capping, so I can't see any problem with making your own.

I'm not sure if it would be acceptable to use as containment for singles, but it will be fine with T&E

don't log cabins and such have to be wired in MICC cables?

fire rated stuff anyway..?

Sponsored Links
Make sure its all in safe zones, I'd argue that its less trunking, and more concealed within a wooden moulding

Ever heard of case and cap btw?

Some variation in the answers here chaps.

Safe Zones? - remind me (if you have a link to hand, I'd appreciate it)
Case ands Cap - never heard of it I'm afraid
MICC ? (Fire rated I understand though)
Can get timber trunking? Where from since I haven't managed to source these.
Derate the current carrying capacity. Huh, what does this mean?
RCD - I understand

MICC = Mineral Insulated Copper Conductor.
nasty stuff..
basically a copper pipe with 2 ( or more ) bare copper wires in the middle of it and packed with a non conducting mineral powder ( magnesium dioxide i think )

MI2L1.JPG

timber trunking available at B&Q in the decorative moulding / dowel rack...
it's mini-trunking though, quite small.

you can get wood effect dado and skirting trunking in various finishes..
all else fails there's always wood effect stick backed plastic

MICC = Mineral Insulated Copper Conductor.
nasty stuff..
basically a copper pipe with 2 ( or more ) bare copper wires in the middle of it and packed with a non conducting mineral powder ( magnesium dioxide i think )

Thanks CJ - I take it there is some more user friendly fire rated T&E stuff available (I will search for this)

The trunking you refer to is, sadly, exactly what doesn't suit my aesthetic eye. I take it these have passed some reg testing, which brings me back to my original quandary.

It's been a while but we purchased some from arnold lavers timber merchants.

I think it was made by richard burbridge

RCD - I understand
The highlighted comments show that you are not yet able to design an electrical installation.

And you are not going to become competent to do so by just asking random questions here as and when they occur to you....

Get stuck in:

http://www.kevinboone.com/cableselection_web.html

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=75416#75416

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/4.3.1.htm

RCD - I understand
The highlighted comments show that you are not yet able to design an electrical installation.

And you are not going to become competent to do so by just asking random questions here as and when they occur to you....

And I have no intention of learning to do so. I was merely asking whether there was a problem with manufacturing surface trunking from routed timbers. The replies were of varying complexities, and I was merely asking for clarification of some of them (due to an enquiring mind). The ones you highlight are of particular interest as they will have an effect on the placements of outlets and the maximum usage permitted.

So get off your high horse and try to apply your professional brain to the question actually originally posted, and not commenting on a reply selected at random, since those that have replied have still left areas of shade. Notably, if the cabling is done as per recommendations/specs of my electrician, can I manufacture my own trunking to use instead of him buying the off-the-shelf ones currently available.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back