Making 8ft doors for a wardrobe using MDF

Not as easy to get a good edge finish on the ply even with Finish Birch, Not as easy to get a good face finish, More likely to warp if its not already warped when you get it.

Jason

Sponsored Links
OOI, wouldn't ply be stronger and more rigid than MDF?
Strength is not an issue , would be far more difficult to get a good finish to cut edges and will warp just as easily as mdf and does not have a flat finish.

Blimpy, these couple of pics should give you an idea of how I do it, the ends of the rails are also groved and then small bits of the panel material used as loose tongues. (still glued in)

PICT0043.jpg

PICT0044.jpg

J

Sponsored Links
When I do modern renovations and do full height doors in door ways, I use 8' x 4' door blanks and cut them to size. Even these still warm a little - more so of one side is into an understairs cupboard (not heated) and the other to the room (heated). Also bloody heavy, best I've done was a 65 kg door going from a lounge to kitchen - three 4" hinges and a massive 2" thick door liner made from 2x6" sawn timber sanded clean with my festool rotex 150.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back