Making a plate cabinet

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I am making some kitchen cabinets. I want to put some china plates in them, there are quite a lot, and I don't want to stack them flat on top of each other, as the underneath ones might crack with the weight.

I am trying to think how to make then stand up on edge, like plates in a dishwasher, but without much gap between them. I have not got a router so can't slot the shelves.

I was thinking about pinning half-round to the shelf.

I have a variety of sizes of plates and dishes, maybe a dozen of each size, more than that of some.

This must be a need that has cropped up before, is there a common way to do it?

Sponsored Links
Make it with doweling like a plate rack, heres one I did earlier :D

platerack.jpg

You can just fit the dowels into strips of wood that screw into the cupboard.

Jason

Thanks, I can manage that!

Two dowels for each "bay" one near front, one near back? And I guess you can put a few plates per bay?

Is there a clever way to take them out to clean the cab?

Sponsored Links
John - top hole per dowel bored say twice depth of bottom hole. Dowels loose fit so when needing to be removed lift dowel up into deeper hole ... then swing the bottom of the dowel clear and out maybe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back