Precision cut in a restricted space?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm adding some shelves to a pair of existing cabinets and I need to be able to cut some 16mm slots 75mm back into a pair of supporting uprights to take the new shelves (they're CD/video cabinets, in case you were wondering.)

My problem is that I have a *lot* of these cuts to make, I want the job to be neat an quick if possible, but I only have 130mm clearance either side of the uprights, so a router is out of the question (at least my router is!)

The uprights are securely glued in place so removing them isn't an option either.

I have a multi-tool but don't think the cut will be neat enough and a Jigsaw at right angles to the upright wont cut deep enough.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
...may have been a better option in retrospect but I have already had all of the shelves cut to size assuming that I'll slot them. Doh.

I'm considering getting a Dremel DSM20 to do it. I think this would make it a breeze as I could make a set of jigs to get the shelves at the right height, but I'm hesitant as I cannot be sure if there will be enough clearance to get the Dremmel far enough in for a 75mm deep slot.

Sponsored Links
I think you've given yourself a bit of a headache there Neil....how about those metal dowels that you find holding shelves up in kitchen cabinets?
I guess you could get in with a right angle drive drill, and they will be strong enough.
It will mean having your shelves remachined though.
John :)

Anything involving drilling is pretty much out of the question, again due to the lack of clearance which is only 130mm.

Have just been out to B&Q to size up a Dremel. It would certainly fit and give me more than enough cut depth and I could use a jig.

However I have been reading that, as it's an abrasive rather than a "normal" blade, it gets expensive having to use proprietary blades.

I need to make about 240 75mm cuts in total!

have you got a picture or 2 please

if my mind is correct you would take several weeks as each slot will take several passes if the blade is say 2mm and the slot 15mm then thats a minimum say 10 passes if using a guide or jig having to clap and move between passes

also iff its chipboard core the blade will give up after a few metres
have you thought about an angle drill and those shelf supports possibly with a cut down drill bit

Will stick some photos up soon - just need to re-charge my camera 'cos the room the cabinet is in is dark so I'll need a flash!

240 cuts :eek:
Neil, you'll want to do yourself in before you've done a quarter of that....
Big-alls idea of using a cut down twist drill in an angle drive should save your sanity!
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back