Making a radiator tail for a drainoff

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to drain down CH system but there is drain valve at lowest point.I would like to make a radiator tail using a short length of copper with sevice valve in-line and solder the copper to female part of rad valve.
1. will this work ?
2.is there a better method of achieving a drain-down point?

Thanks

I ought to emphasise that this will be a temporary measure and I will use a more permanent solution later eg a radiator valve with integrated drain-off valve

Sponsored Links
Where the copper goes up into the rad, instead of using a 90 degree bend or an elbow, use a tee, with a short length of copper on the open end of the tee, with a drain off valve soldered on?

Or get one of these

942767.37434c7dbfbaec6655.21103146

Sponsored Links
They are handy as you can just drain the rad as a draincock on the pipework drains the lot.

Or get one of these

942767.37434c7dbfbaec6655.21103146

Correct John, why mess about with bits of copper and T's, just buy a lockshield with built in drain off, some people like to make life hard for themselves :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I've heard these are unreliable and s****!

EVERY drain cockis unreliable and carp. But ugly home made stuff will be no better.

seco services Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:56 pm Post Subject:

They are handy as you can just drain the rad as a draincock on the pipework drains the lot.

I think you misunderstand, my friend. These draincocks are BEFORE the valve so drain the system, not just the rad.

You are thinking of these, 2nd image down:
http://www.plumbingsupplyservices.co.uk/acatalog/std_valves.html

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back