Making a roof light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are building a kitchen extension with a flat roof. I would like to fit a roof light. Having had a look at commercial roof lights I've not been impressed. The lower cost ones look cheap and the nice ones are really expensive. I'm thinking of welding up and aluminium or stainless frame and fitting a standard double glazed window with a third laminated or toughened glass panel over the top. Are there any regs that I need to look at or is it a complete non-starter. I've had a look through Part N and the thermal regs. I'm still at the thinking stage so ready to be knocked back.

Sponsored Links
If you can weld ali - and wait until the extension is signed off - then what you put on your roof , that can`t be seen from the road - ahem ;) is up to you ;)

The lower cost ones look cheap and the nice ones are really expensive.

Misc-Sherlock.jpg

Sponsored Links
With flat roof rooflights you get what you pay for.

That is what I had concluded hence looking at DIY options. This isn't too far from what I do for a living (design and fabrication) so I thought it might be an option.

That might be an option, too, Nige, but there are already a couple of bits like that lurking so I was trying to go by the book. :)

The problem, if you want to do it legally, is convincing Building Control that what you have constructed meets the regulations in terms of heat loss, robustness, weather proofing, security etc. You should be able to get a suitable double glazed unit no problem, it will be the frame that will be the issue. This is no slur on your abilities just an observation. Windows can be constructed in this manner that get through the regs although mainly timber and mainly traditional vertical windows and combined with more complex methods of complying with Part L than just simple U values. Of course there's nothing stopping you approaching your inspector to find out what he says!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back