New extension roof ideas - shallow pitch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all
I'm in the early stages of planning a single-storey extension to my kitchen, and looking at options for roof coverings.

The pitch will work out at approx 13 degrees, so tiles matching the rest of the house are out of the question, and I think interlocking pantiles would look like an odd compromise. I'm therefore into looking at something completely different and would appreciate thoughts on the way forward...

The roof is South-facing so I'm intending to maximise natural light by having fixed roof windows fitted. My current thinking on roof covering around this is EDPM, with a sedum green roof planted on top, but I'm a plumber not a roofer so I'm keen to hear professional thoughts on this combination and any other suggestions please

Thanks in advance :)

Sponsored Links
You can have a low pitch tiled roof in whatever tiles you like, if you board the roof and then felt it as per a flat roof, and then batten and tile the roof on top.

Or have a perimeter pitch to match the main roof, and flat roof in the center

If you don't mind it leaking.

You've had several weeks now since you became aware of this, and probably many years before that when you was training(?), and you've still not grasped it? :rolleyes:

You can't tell me that the rest of the UK knows about this, but it's yet to reach Plymouth? No way.

Sponsored Links
If you carry out the work in the way Woody suggests it may well keep the roof from leaking for a few years, BUT it will not stop the water from getting under the tiles and rotting away the battens the tiles are sitting on until they collapse and you have to strip it and start again.

Use a suitable product for the pitch.

If you read all the sales pitch and believe it then rubber is supposed to last 50yrs
and if you are going to put a green roof on top and protect it from uv rays
then I would go with rubber too.

If you carry out the work in the way Woody suggests it may well keep the roof from leaking for a few years, BUT it will not stop the water from getting under the tiles and rotting away the battens the tiles are sitting on until they collapse and you have to strip it and start again.

Use a suitable product for the pitch.

Nonsense.

Why don't pitch roof battens rot?

Woody

If the tiles are suitable for the pitch the weather will not penetrate past the tiles : Hence the battens do not rot.

Suitable materials could be EPDM , Felt , Lead or Zinc

Nonsense.

Why don't pitch roof battens rot?
I should imagine the difference is that tiles on too shallow a pitch allow water in, whereas those on the correct pitch do not.... that would be the logical explanation from my point of view anyway, not that I know much about roofing

I should imagine the difference is that tiles on too shallow a pitch allow water in, whereas those on the correct pitch do not.... that would be the logical explanation from my point of view anyway, not that I know much about roofing

The tiles will let water in, the pitched roof membrane catches most of it, and any that gets past that is dealt with by the secondary barrier in the form of the felt roof. The water drains away as normal, dries off as normal, and everything is err, normal.

Funny how many of the roofers would do it but not on their own house. :rolleyes:

Detail it properly and do it once. Tiles are unsuitable for this pitch end of.

I done my garage roof a few weeks ago and I am doing my sons tree house roof today.

There are 4-5 videos. (it's not me on the video.)

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back