making a switch for a tube light?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
basically the problem i have is that i've got one switch for two rooms that switches on two tube lights

no one ever goes in the other room but always in the main room.

is there anything i can use to act as a switch at the tube light itself rather than having to take it out.

the whole wiring is covered and i'm not experienced enough to start rewiring and seperating them.

any advice?

Sponsored Links
does your tube light have a starter on the side ( a circular object about the size of a 2p piece )?
If so you could remove that by giving it a half turn

yeah it does have a starter but hte rooms dark and i doubt the females in my family wud b wanting to do that

there's no window in the room either so no sunlight/outside light gets in

i could place one of those touch timer lights in so that you could walk into the middle of the room to the tube light to switch it on...

Sponsored Links
yeah thats right.

what if i was to put a motion sensor in the room? could i somehow do some basic rewiring and have hte tube light come on upon a motion sensor?

Yes, you'd have to disconnect the tube from the other light, get live, neutral & earth from the lighting circuit into the room, add a PIR (and an over ride switch).

Are the cable runs are easy.
:?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back