Making a toilet seat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just purchased a bungalow which has a bathroom suite which is 21 years old and discontinued.
We have contacted the makers "Villeroy and Boch" who have told us they cannot supply us with a seat for our toilet.
The one on there at present is a pine one made by previous owners. Unfortunately it has now split and the wife and 2 daughters are on my case daily.
They do not want another wood seat, but i am thinking of trying to make a seat out of MDF - Has anyone else on here met this problem and solved it ????
All help will be gratefully accepted.... :oops:

Sponsored Links
did you know the Irish invented the toilet seat? 30 years later the English put a hole in it :LOL:

have tried other manufacturers as some make different shapes pop in your local merchants and ask

wouldn't MDF swell up when it got wet? as you know men don't always aim straight :oops:

mdf sounds like a really bad idea ! I imagine that if you measure the rim size and the hinge separation you would be able to locate a plastic one that was a reasonably close fit, a cm or two on the size doesn't matter too much.

Sponsored Links
Personally, I hate badly fitting loo seats. They look awful.

As for MDF, it should be fine. You would probably be sanding edges smooth and painting, so it wouldn't be prone to water damage anyway. Seat damage normally comes because eventually the laquer fails due to seasonal expansion, etc.

You could create a new one using the existing one as a template. Mark it out roughly (oversize) on the MDF. If you have a bandsaw, cut to that (staying outside the line); if not, then saw using what you have available.

Then flush trim using a router with the original toilet seat clamped as a template. Finally, use a roundover bit in the router to produce a nice edge that's comfortable on the bum!

Presto - new seat. Obviously time consuming compared to the shop option, but (if your toilet is as weird a shape as mine) a much better fit!

I'd go for a nice jointed hardwood piece (or even a piece of "B&Q engineered pine sheet") rather than MDF, but if the wife says "no wood" - then you MUST paint it and MDF is much easier to paint! ;)

Just to finish this topic off which may be of assistance to others i'll give you the outcome.

We trawled reclamation yards, all the diy centres, all the plumbing shops within a 140 mile radius, the yellow pages and the internet.
the makers of the toilet "BOSCH" told us we would never get a seat for the toilet, so we were directed to a toilet seat maker who quoted us £261.

£261 for a toilet seat :rolleyes: i went to b&q and paid £52.99 for a toilet to go. i replaced the old toilet, took out the matching bday.

so the moral of this story is despite all todays new fangled devices, there are still things out there unobtainable..
I do appreciate the advice i received from you guys on here, some of it more helpful than others.... cheers people.

LOL! :LOL:

I was assuming that it was part of a really nice suite that you loved - or a an original period loo! ;)

If not, then (as you found out) these days you really can get a whole suite for little more than a decent seat! Very odd!

Glad to hear that you got it sorted anyway. I'm sure the wife is happier with a new loo than a new seat too :)

All the best.

If they do not want a wooden seat then simply forget the seat.
build a framework & platform around the bog witha hole, put up loads of french things, onions, berets etc as decoration & give the bathroom a french theme :D

... framework & platform ... french things ... french theme ...

this is what the Frogs have:

and

I lived in Paris for a year in the 60s and the communal toilet (it was a cheap hotel) had something similar to that in the 1st picture ... it also doubled as a shower!!! Yep, you stood on the footplates and dropped your load straight down the hole or you stood on the footplates and turned the shower on (generally cold water). Ah, happy days.

Could always have tried one of these.....
photo.asp

Only £577.45......

Almost forgot - Plus £161.49 for the mounting brackets...

Plus delivery.

:eek:

I was just thinking the same thing - I think i have found a hole in the market and not just in the toilet seat..........lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back