Making doors

Sponsored Links
they are designed to work in pairs or reposition and form the other half

they are not meant to be altered at all

you also need a table to use them in case you havent realised

Sponsored Links
the instructions or sales bumf should tell you the timber size they are for working with something like 17-25mm the cutters dont move just the amount off material each side off the cutter center line

These bits are crap. Brand new and the workshop is full of smoke :evil: £15 of ebay, you get what you pay for. Anyone know where I would get a quality set from?

MOST of these cutter sets will only allow you to make stub tenons, which frankly are a pretty weak way to make a door. Freud do a set which will allow you to cut the long tenons you were talking about, but the mortises will still need to be chopped out somehow. Don't forget to cut a haunch on your tenons and to leave a joggle on the end of your stiles, otherwise the mortise will break out as you are cutting it (short grain, you see)

These bits are crap. Brand new and the workshop is full of smoke :evil: £15 of ebay, you get what you pay for. Anyone know where I would get a quality set from?

if its hardwood slow speed slow feed rate

MOST of these cutter sets will only allow you to make stub tenons, which frankly are a pretty weak way to make a door. Freud do a set which will allow you to cut the long tenons you were talking about, but the mortises will still need to be chopped out somehow. Don't forget to cut a haunch on your tenons and to leave a joggle on the end of your stiles, otherwise the mortise will break out as you are cutting it (short grain, you see)

i have had a look on the freud website but can't see that set. Have you got a link please?

Now you know why they were £15!

There are some cutters from a British supplier I'd recommend (as a satisfield customer), here. These sets are in the region of £50 to £65 a set and you need to have a straight cutter (bottom cutters work best) to handle the underside of the tenon and possibly a rebate cutter as well, depending on your approach

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back