1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Making doorway into garage

Discussion in 'Building' started by elsmore1, 13 Feb 2011.

1. elsmore1

elsmore1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi All,
    I plan on making a doorway into my garage from the garden, this was an option when we brought the house but the cost was too much, a few years on I would like to add a door so I am sure it is feasible. The wall is red brick outside with breeze block inside, its a sloping tiled roof built 2006 so it is taking a small load. I assume i will need a lintel rather than an RSJ but how do I find out what I need as in regards of size and grade of lintel. Is this simple and would a standard lintel suffice and can a builders merchant be able to advise and should I tell the BCO?

Many Thanks for advice.

regards

2. Sponsored Links
  3. ChapiTheBricky

ChapiTheBricky

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  4. noseall

noseall

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Measure the cavity size and buy the appropriate size cavity lintel.

The lintel will require 150mm end bearings so buy a lintel that is 300mm wider than the opening.

5. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local