Making good around patio doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're at the stage of wanting to decorate the lounge in our new house. The previous owners had uPVC patio doors installed/fitted and, as seems the norm in this house, the installer used wide strips of uPVC to cover the damaged plaster/joins.

I plan on removing these and making good the missing areas but from what I can see the gaps are huge - 2-3 inches wide and the full height. The frame has been fitted to the outside course of the cavity wall and the cavity itself will be/is open.

What is the best way to bridge the gap and make good the internal plasterwork? What should I use and how do I go about filling such a large expanse? Will I need any metalwork to act as a base for whatever I use, I'm assuming I'm going to need far more than just plaster. How deep should I go (sideways) into the cavity? I'm bridging the cavity, do I have a problem in the making?

I didn't have this is my last property, the windows were made good without the need for the extra uPVC to bridge/cover up the gaps so I have no experience in this. Any/all help and advice welcome.

Kim

Sponsored Links
We're at the stage of wanting to decorate the lounge in our new house. The previous owners had uPVC patio doors installed/fitted and, as seems the norm in this house, the installer used wide strips of uPVC to cover the damaged plaster/joins.

I plan on removing these and making good the missing areas but from what I can see the gaps are huge - 2-3 inches wide and the full height. The frame has been fitted to the outside course of the cavity wall and the cavity itself will be/is open.

What is the best way to bridge the gap and make good the internal plasterwork? What should I use and how do I go about filling such a large expanse? Will I need any metalwork to act as a base for whatever I use, I'm assuming I'm going to need far more than just plaster. How deep should I go (sideways) into the cavity? I'm bridging the cavity, do I have a problem in the making?

I didn't have this is my last property, the windows were made good without the need for the extra uPVC to bridge/cover up the gaps so I have no experience in this. Any/all help and advice welcome.

Kim
sand and cement pva first if gaps realy big use bits of brick plaster after

or get a bag of hardwall, wet the wall down first, then fill it with the hardwall, when it sets to a cheesy firmness, scrape/cut it back a couple of mm then use easifill to fill it flush with the existing wall and sand it smooth.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back