Making good sliding doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our extension has a 2.4m wide sliding door in the side. Originally, this was a window that was, from what I can tell, reasonably well installed. Then the bodges moved in. I have a number of problems that need addressing. If we could replace the door outright, I would like to, but we have more pressing matters that need addressing financially...

1) Cavities were closed, prior to plastering, with old newspaper, that was sodden when I removed it. Would I be ok to close these up with expanding foam prior to re-plstering?

2) There was a piece of wood over the old cavity to bridge it at the bottom of the door (extends down another 2ft). As we are re-flooring, I would like to have the floor screed go right up to the door. How would I go about closing the cavity at floor level to screed over it?:

3) Ground level is very close to the bottom door sill (teak frame) and has gotten sodden and started to rot in places. Is it possible to repair this rather than replace the whole door. Worst case, would it be possible to replace the bottom sill with plastic?

Cheers,
Fubar.

Sponsored Links
Couple of years ago I removed a set of sliding patio doors that led into a conservatory. They hadn't bothered to block the cavities at all. I closed the vertical ones with expanding foam and when it had dried simply cut it off smooth to the brickwork with a panel saw. The horizontal one was closed off with pieces of slate before a new floor was laid over it.

Regarding the outside, if the ground level is close to the bottom of the door it needs to be lowered to prevent splash-back or possibly some kind of triangular fillet to make sure the water doesn't pool against the door frame.

Oh, slate. Hadn't considered that. But I only have access to the inner skin as the door is over the outer brick work :/

It suprises me that the cavity descends so far down below grade.

As far as the ground goes, it was paved right up to the bottom of the door and I've since removed the paving, sparing a few inches. Really, it's my bad for not fitting guttering since I fixed the roof in the summer :unsure:

Fubar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back