Making headboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick question. I'd like to make my own headboard but I want it attached to the bed (divan) and not the wall.

If I made it like this in the pic, would the standard headboard bolts be enough to actually hold it to the bed?

Any advice gratefully received

s-l1600.jpg

Sponsored Links
What would be better for the base of it? MDF, ply, chipboard (seen someone also use OSB)

Mdf is most rigid but also heavy.Chipboard is flimsy , so ply or osb the latter being cheaper .

Sponsored Links
Thank you I wasn't sure about the weight of the mdf and which would be strongest.

Edit

Geez, MDF is the cheapest!!!!

Last edited:
As an aside. one of the rooms I have just finished decorating has head boards that are taller than the one in your photo. One thing I would recommend is that you design the slot so that the headboard cannot physically slip all the way down to the floor.

When I put the head boards back on, the slots meant that I could not lift the head board more than 1cm above the floor.

That's the problem I have with the current headboard. I was contemplating just holes for the bolts instead of the slots?

I see nothing wrong with holes rather than a slot. Just bear in mind that you will need to drill an oversize hole to allow for discrepancies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back