Making hole for extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to create a hole for the extractor fan in a downstairs toilet. It is a 4" pipe and it has to go through a single brick thick wall.

I've looked at those diamond tipped core drill bits and even to hire they are going to cost about 30quid for a day.

Do any of you just knock through with a chisel? If so should I drill a load of pilot holes in a rough circle first?

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Cheers,

Chris

Sponsored Links
core drill it, saves time, looks better, less chance of cracking other bricks.

Don’t just take a chisel to it, it wont work & you’ll crack the mortar joints. Take a long masonry drill (I use a 6mm dia drill) & drill loads of holes very close together around the outside edge of the hole you want, then drill a load more holes in the centre so you can knock through with a chisel & get the hole started, then work your way out towards the outside of the hole, dress up the jagged edge & it’s done.

Sponsored Links
I agree, hire one, lovely job. While you've got it, make a hole for the bathroom extractor, the shower room, the cooker hood and the tumble drier. Get your money's worth.

just go and hire the correct tools you tight git :D
It’s only one hole! they do an excellent job & if you’ve got several to do or are going to have a future use for a diamond core cutter & a suitable sized gut buster drill to put it in then go buy/hire one; but for one hole a masonry drill bit, hammer & chisel will work equally as well, it just takes a little longer!

I spent an hour with a chisel before throwing it in the garage and popping down to the local hire center!

It cost me 52 quid for a diamond core and sds drill. Amazing how easy it was. Butter and knife spring to mind.

Most expensive hole in the house!

Once the hole has been drilled......any recs on how to avoid an unsightly hole on the outside of the house without getting a very long ladder to get there and cover it up?

Sorry, not from me.

I got a cover with the extractor fan that I bought and put that on it.

Plus it was a downstairs loo so it was easy job (no ladders involved).

are there no round covers that you can slide on the pipe before you put it through the wall?

While you are hiring your diamond core drill, get a long extension ladders as well ;) You need to seal the outside to stop any ingress of water or ickle beasty's into your cavity! Otherwise, your hole will turn into a door for the buggers :cry: Make sure someone holds the bottom of the ladder as well and get a parachute if you are afraid of heights....

LOl...
getting a ladder is not the problem. I am getting my roof gutter cleaned that day as well. But the bathroom is on the 3rd floor and no-one wants to drill a hole/ or install a vent cover while perched on a ladder at that height.

3rd floor! Afraid you need staffolding to comply with H+S Regs, if anyone seen you working at that height without it, might get into trouble and injured, if you have nosey gob carp neighbours! You need to do it properly, if you go to sell it in the future and it doesn't comply with BR's it will cost you more in the long run :rolleyes:

There is a window to the bathroom. Are the extractor fans that are fitted in windows any good?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back