Making hot bitumen/felt adhesive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone explain the procedure for making felt adhesive? Occasionally I have seen this being applied by roofers but i dont know what goes into it. I need lots of this stuff to fix new felt on to a roof.

The ready-made alternative i can find in the shops is a cold adhesive but only comes in 5 litre cans:

Im assuming i need some type of stove or burner and a large metal drum or container to pour the ingredients in. What else will i need to put into the drum to make the right bitumen mix? I want to make enough to adequately cover a surface of about 15m². thanks

Sponsored Links
What your are looking for is bitumen. You can either buy it in block form or kegs from any good roofing supplier.It is solid at room temp but molten when heated in a pitch boiler.
Watch out if not experianced with using a boiler as it can catch fire quite easily.
Have a damp sheet handy to cut off the oxygen!

thanks for the response. Any ideas on how much the kegs or blocks cost roughly? Is it a matter of heating up the blocks?

Don't know off hand but you don't want a lot, don't know if they sell them in smaller lump, the roofing supplies will stock them and advise you

Sponsored Links
Bitumen is sold in kegs of 40 kg or in smaller blocks, depending on where you go.
I dont know how much everyone else charge but we usually sell it for £28 + V.A.T. (40kg Keg)

thanks for the response. Any ideas on how much the kegs or blocks cost roughly? Is it a matter of heating up the blocks?

If your thinking about re-doing your flat roof with Bitumen......FORGET IT! I'd look at getting it done in the EPDM Rubber. Will last alot longer. IMO!!

Last year I ripped up more rubber roofs than I did felt.

Stick with felt, but I wouldnt reccommend using hot bitumen if inexperienced, you neecd a pro when using it tbh. You could attempt to use a torch-on system, lesschance of burning/scarring yourself for life, more chance of burning your house down!

Best you can tell i'm not a fan of diy roofing eh ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back