Making my own door

str

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was thinking about making a door for the garage, back door, so pedestrian sized!

Initial thought was to have a window in the top third, with a cross member below this and the t&g for the bottom 2 thirds. Had thought that the joints could be half cut joints (possibly have the terminology wrong?!)

Questions would be :

- how think timber should I use so that these type of joints are strong enough?
- would I need to put a cross brace in the bottom 2 thirds of the door?

Sponsored Links
Your idea is too great i think you should put cross brace in the bottom 2 thirds of the door.
-----------------
Advert removed

Ladylola, thanks, pretty much exactly what I had been thinking of doing, but without the fancy woodwork at the top section, just a regular opening to take wired glass.

I am not technical enough to cut mortice and tenon joints, hence my thought of half lap joints (not sure if i have the right terminology but i mean to cut half of each timber away so that the joint is the same width as the timber).

will this type of joint be strong enough?

also, what thickness of timber should i be looking to use?

thanks

Sponsored Links
A lap joint won't be as strong from a security point of view as a mortice and tenon but it's possible to use such a joint. I'd be inclined to make it a dovetailed lap joint and ensure it is tightly cut, glued and screwed for added strenght.
Thicknesswise 44mm PAR timber is standard off the shelf stuff and is commonly used for exterior doors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back