Makita 7.2V Lion Impact driver

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After seeing this post from Doctor Drivel:
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=120112&start=15

I saw the vid and was completely won over! :cool:

Been looking for an impact driver, and this seems like it will fit the bill for what I will be using it for. Not too big like lugging another impact driver around. I've already got a decent Makita 18V drill but it would be nice to to have a driver to use with it. This looks pretty powerful for such a small thing! 17nm of torque and I think my makita has about 40nm.

My question is has anyone actually got one and how would it fair in the real world? The video all looks good but it could all be staged, that drilling into the wood looks like its been piloted first?...

These can be had for about 30 squids off the bay? Any reason why?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
The Makita is small and goes in the ruler pocket. If you want an Impact Driver that drives in lag bolts and is cheap enough then try a Sparky from s/fix at around £99 - a pro tool made in Eastern Europe. They also sell a Titan Impact Driver for around £70-75 - I am not sure of quality.

It looks good, but the racket and bit wear would put me off using it as a general screwdriver. Does it use impact on every screw - that video shows the first screw whizzing in, but the others going slower and with impact and noise.

I use a Bosch 10.8 v lithium, which does not have impact but does have more torque than the makita, and this generally suits any screw or nut and for the tougher ones or coach screws, then I use a proper impact driver.

The ergonomics of the makita are also a bit naff for prolonged use.

Seems a good price though

It looks good, but the racket and bit wear would put me off using it as a general screwdriver. Does it use impact on every screw - that video shows the first screw whizzing in, but the others going slower and with impact and noise.

I use a Bosch 10.8 v lithium, which does not have impact but does have more torque than the makita, and this generally suits any screw or nut and for the tougher ones or coach screws, then I use a proper impact driver.

The ergonomics of the makita are also a bit naff for prolonged use.

Seems a good price though

The difference between an Impact Driver and a normal drill/driver is night and day. The rotating hammer of Impact Drivers does not cut in until there is resistance. If driving in small light screws the racket does not cut in.

Sponsored Links
Hmm for the price I think i might just buy one. It just seems to perform really well!

i've got the 18V makita impact, its great. The only problem is that it likes to destroy screwdriver bits if your hammering it.

I invested in some wera bi-torsion bits which seem to be able to hack some punishment.

I can't see the need to use an impact for normal screws or screw driving.

I only use my impact driver on coach screws or those really nice 'nut headed' turbo screws from Screwfix.

Just bought one! :cool: will write a mini review once I get it!

I can't see the need to use an impact for normal screws or screw driving.

I only use my impact driver on coach screws or those really nice 'nut headed' turbo screws from Screwfix.

I use it for everything even drilling,. It is superb. The drill/driver is rarely used. Impact drivers are so small and light.

I have one of the Makita 7.2v impact drivers and I find it performs really well. The torque is not as great (about 17nm) as a 12v makita impact driver (about 130nm) but for a lightweight machine it does the job.

Againsts, it comes in a gay bag, when screwdriving before the impact mechanism kicks in I think it is a bit too fast.

Fors, good in tight spaces (putting in sink clips for instance) the light is handy, lightweight.

I have one of the Makita 7.2v impact drivers and I find it performs really well. The torque is not as great (about 17nm) as a 12v makita impact driver (about 130nm) but for a lightweight machine it does the job.

Againsts, it comes in a gay bag, when screwdriving before the impact mechanism kicks in I think it is a bit too fast.

Fors, good in tight spaces (putting in sink clips for instance) the light is handy, lightweight.

If it spins too fast, pulse the trigger.

Well arrived in the post today and had a little go with it! :LOL:

First impressions is that it looks like a professional piece of kit. I thought the carry case was quite handy. It came with

-Impact screwdriver
-7 Screw bits
-1 extention bit holder
-One long screwbit holder
-2 Batteries
-Charger

I tested it against my 18V Makita drill and the results were more than i was expecting. It drove in screws with ease. Nice addition and i would quite happily use it for screwing and use my 18V drill for drilling.
Although the prospect of 160nm of torque for a proper impact drill does sound appealing so may be buy one in the future.

One thing i dont like about it is that its got too fast a single rpm. It should be slower I feel and its less easier to control, pulsing it does help it a bit though. Also the impact does cut in way too early when it doesn't need too.

All in all its a great little addition to my tool collection, and I think it I made the right choice in choosing this over the IXO2, its no match!:cool:

All in all its a great little addition to my tool collection, and I think it I made the right choice in choosing this over the IXO2, its no match!:cool:

The IX02 is not in the same league as the Makita.

ixo2 is junk belongs in a tonka toy kit. Lasts about 2 weeks in professional hands.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back