Makita batteries

Sponsored Links
not a makita man but used powertool mate quite a few times looks a reasonable price (y)

Actually very good. And I AM a Makita man, and have been for 15 years

Sponsored Links
I picked up three brand new 5Ah batteries back in January for £120 from a guy who was swapping to Milwaukee. Now I have ten...

I have bought basic Makita combi drills (all with a wobbly chuck) with 2 5Ah batteries/ charger and case from Screwfix in a sale 3 times in the past 12 months or so for £140, just for the batteries, the cases are useful and i also have spare chargers/drills all over the garage.

The dhp453 had been on offer for quite a while and was worth it just for the batteries but it went up to £200 a month or so ago
The first time i bought one the guy serving me in Screwfix told me the drills were wobbly and loads were returned, i think he looked confused and probably called me a weirdo, when i said i didn't care about the drill as i only wanted the batteries.

Sensible chap that one!
Not really. All of the major manufacturers are much of a muchness in terms of reliability. They all have tools they excel at and they all have lemons in their ranges, and all tool ranges have gaps in them (for example, one of Makita's has been cordless pinners and nailers). His needs were more for stuff that he reckoned Milwaukee were stronger in and he'd recently lost a lot of stuff due to a van robbery

Personally, my own experiences in trying to get warranty service and spare parts out of Milwaukee and their dealers (in the last 3 years) haven't been positive - other manufacturers seem to have better parts availability and are faster getting them to you.

"and he'd recently lost a lot of stuff due to a van robbery"
Sympathetic. Like to get my hands on some of these ********** (insert whatever adjectives you like).
Personally, my own experiences in trying to get warranty service and spare parts out of Milwaukee and their dealers (in the last 3 years) haven't been positive - other manufacturers seem to have better parts availability and are faster getting them to you.
Never had any need of parts or warranty service in 16 years.

Lucky you. I had a German-made recip saw which went back twice under warranty (nearly 3 months each time, first time at weeks of age). The well used (i.e. fairly hammered) 5 year old Bosch recip I have was Godsend. Each time there were "no parts in the UK/EU" to do the repair. Not good on a £400 tool. I gave up on the Kango breaker after 4 warranty repairs in under 3 years - the replacement Hilti has been more reliable and their service is streets ahead for maybe an extra 10% cost. Maybe TTI think they don't need to offer even adequate service on "old hat" corded tools these days? It's certainly the impression they left me with

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back