Makita cordless question?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently purchased a Makita 18v cordless drill with ni-cad as I need to replace an area of plasterboard.

I have charged the drill and just tested a screw into a joist, works fine.

Enough background, now my question;

When I pull the trigger I can see quite a bit of arcing of spark inside the drill casing.
Having drilled 1 screw, I cannot have worn the thing out, , is this arcing the sign of a problem now or in the future

I wondered whether I should return it, or is it absolutely nothing to worry about?

I would appreciate the experience of those who have used Makita products before...many thanks.

Sponsored Links
the sparking normally happens with motors from my experiance. i think its the bushes bedding in. there may also be a funny smell. both my makitas did it when new. should die down the more use it gets.

Thankyou for the response, that makes sense...i will start to use it now...Cheers

Every Makita cordless drill I own does this, its quite normal. When I was little I use to see if i could light a match from the arcs with my old mans drill... Good times :LOL:

Sponsored Links
theirs nothing to worrie about its just wearing its self in, makita tools are great i use them a lot :) :D

We just had a new one in today and it does exactly the same. Apparently the engineers say they always do it. Great drills.

The OP's drill blew up over four years ago just after he posted this.

He's MIA

Blimey didn't realise how long ago this was started. How was this one dug out. Still like the drills though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back