Makita LS1013 Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening,

My LS1013 mitre saw is poorly, the electic brake doesnt want to kick in straight away, it seems to kick in 3 - 5 seconds after releasing the trigger, other times it works fine.

I have a power tool repair shop near me who will do the repair but wont give me an idea of the price before taking it in (fair enough i suppose)

Has anyone else got / had one of these saws and had a similar problem?

Its an old saw (1997) and i'm wondering whether i should treat myself to a new one.

Matt

Sponsored Links
No experience with this model, but I though the electric brake was just a bit of circuitry to change the current on the motor windings, or something like motor bushes to magnetically grip the motor shaft.

So I assume the part should be simple to replace?

With most things nowadays, labour cost is a big factor, so you need to get a quote to see if its worth keeping or scraping.

I would have thought any good repair centre would be able to give a reasonable estimate based on the symptoms - and should know the most likely problems and the cost of the remedies.

Cheers Guys,

Waiting for a couple of quotes to come back from service centers, hopefully they can fix it.

The more i think about getting a new one, the more i remember how well this one has served me over the years!

Sponsored Links
Actually,

Looking at the parts breakdown has made me want to know more about what the controller does.

im crap when it comes to sussing out wiring, but it looks suspiciously like it could have something to do with how the brake works (reverses current to motor)

i'm also beggining to think it could be something to do with the switch, because sometimes another squeeze and release of the trigger will make the brake kick in.

Anyway, time to stop pining over my saw :oops: and get some work done!

Just to follow up on this, in case anyone ever has a similar problem;

It was my own stoopid fault :oops:

I took the brushes out a few weeks back to inspect them and must have put them back in the wrong way, because the brushes wear slightly diffently they weren't making as good contact as they shoud have been.

A new pair of brushes has solved the problem.

Matt

thanks for the update appreciated

was it an expensive "tinker" :rolleyes:

Not too expensive,

the brushes cost £8 delivered

My local service center had quoted £50 parts £18 labour to fix it!

Lesson learned, somewhere!

Not too expensive,

the brushes cost £8 delivered

My local service center had quoted £50 parts £18 labour to fix it!

Lesson learned, somewhere!

£50 parts !!! expensive brushes or did they expect somthing else was at fault!!!

They told me it was a common fault and would require "parts"

Maybe there is a common problem, maybe they were trying to fleece me.

Guess i'll never know.

At least its working,

Bring on the architraves

Matt

may have iuncluded item 5 on the diagram as belt and braces [control unit ]as its £50 plus vat!!!

as you say we will never know unless you ask them of course ;)

Hi,

I am having exactly the same problem. My mitre saw always seems fine until about 1-2 hours of intermittent use, then the automatic blade brake stops coming on immediately (takes 3-4 seconds). Let me know if you manage to solve the problem, it is becoming irritating, but not enough to pay extortionate trade repair costs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back