Makita petrol chain saw fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Makita petrol chain saw starts O.K., but dies when I press the throttle. On starting it sounds as if it running very fast, running away with itself.

Any ideas please?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You're going to have to be brave and strip the carburettor out, I'm afraid....it sounds like the saw is running on a lean fuel / air ratio due to some debris in there.
Basically these carbs have two flat ends.....under one end is a pump diaphragm (that pumps fuel from the tank into the carb) and the other end covers a metering diaphragm (that supplies fuel to the jets).
By all means remove these end plates (one has one central screw, one has four screws) and check the diaphragms for splits......then its out with the carb cleaner aerosol to wash things out. Remove the needle valve (another screw holding the needle, spring and pivot bar) and wash that area through.
Personally I don't do these without a compressed air supply, and kitchen paper is a huge no-no.
Just to further brighten your day, the carb may have 2 adjusting screws with no screwdriver slot, but rather a tiny notch in the end - and a special tool is used to adjust them.
Fish out the filter in the fuel tank if you can - they don't often block but its worth a look anyway.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back