Man hole within garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all Im planning to erect a sectional garage and am planning the base at the moment, but there is a man hole in the centre...from what i have read this is on my land so is classed as a "private" sewer not public ?.

Can i lay a base around this with a sealed cover or is it more involved than this?

Any advice before i go any further would be great thanks

Jon

Sponsored Links
Just because a manhole is on your land does not mean it's not part of a public sewer. If any waste other than that from your house flows though it then there is a good chance it's a public sewer. I was able to obtain a definative map from my local building control dept which had all public sewers marked on it.

ive had a better look now and it is def only serving my toilet/bath/sink and it cuts across the corner of my proposed base by about 3' the actually pipe is about 2' beneath the surface so i think im ok.

When concreting over something like drainage pipes is there anything i should know/ will the weight of the building/concrete harm the pipe?

Thanks Jon

Smart option would be to dig down and lintel over the pipe. Blocks either side and lintel or thick concrete slab over, pea shingle around the pipe.
However we are only talking about a sectional garage here and I imagine you will be laying a 6" slab base?

Sponsored Links
Well the garage company suggest 4" but thought id go on the safe side and put down 5"...

Yeh 4's ok, it's the prep that really makes it work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back