manhole cover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
l need to replace a manhole cover in my back garden as the frame to hold it has corroded and will not take any weight so is dangerous as it is. It is a waste manhole a oblong shape. Are these all pretty much the same size to replace and where is the best place to get one that is cheap to buy.... Thanks

Sponsored Links
They do vary in size - depending on what weight they are designed to carry. They come complete with a frame and lid usually and I'm sure you'll find one thats close if not identical. Go to Wickes to see what they have, or any decent builders merchant. Heavy ones are round £100 but a lightweight one will be considerably cheaper.

The frame is bedded into cement on the top of the brick chamber and so is only in compression.

So I dont see why you think it can be dangerous.

Tony

The frame is bedded into cement on the top of the brick chamber and so is only in compression.

So I dont see why you think it can be dangerous.

Tony
No it's not, l've just double checked and the frame is inside the brick chamber with screws into the brick :eek:

Sponsored Links
Thats very odd then!

They are normally intended to rest on top so they can carry the maximum load!

Tony

Sounds like someone has replaced an imperial cover with a metric one. You may be better off trying the salvage yards to find one that fits properly. In the meantime lay a bit of 3/4 ply over the top of it to prevent accidents.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back