Manrose MF 100 extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening all, I am new here and by no means an electrician and I hope you can help me. I have purchased a Manrose MF 100 standard fan without timer and I have a dilemma regarding the wiring. The fan I have removed had a timer and this one doesn't. I wired the main E N L into a fused switch, as is now required, then went on feed a cable to the fan unit and connected the N L. When the power was reconnected the fan came straight on and obviously would only turn off at the newly connected fused switch, I wasn't surprised when this happened as there is no switch feed from the light switch. Obviously I have wired it incorrectly and the question is, how the hell do I get it to turn on and off with the light switch?

I have mains cable E N L and a second cable with only E L which I assume is the switch cable which are already set up in the light switch, the only connections points I have in the fan unit are labelled N L1 L2 along with 2 points with not to be used written on them.

In anticipacion, Phil

Sponsored Links
If your timer fan worked as it should have then all you had to do was connect the Switched Live wire (Timer connection) and Neutral to the new fan. Safely terminating the Permanent Live out of the way.

Where is your new Fused Switch?

Thank you for your prompt reply. The timer fan worked as it should have and I am only replacing it because it didn't extract very well.The new fused switch is in the loft, i did consider feeding it down to sit alongside the bathroom light switch but given the fact I cant do this simple job, I don't think I'll tackle that. Just to clarify, all I have to do is disconnect the main Live from the fused switch, isolate it in a block and connect the switch live instead and it should work. Will the disconnected live cable be as long as it is secured in the block or are there any other precautions I should take to make it safe.

Ah. yes, if you have connected the wrong one then that will do it.

Just make sure the spare wire can't touch anything.

Sponsored Links
You have been very helpful, another quickie, it will obviously trip the fuse if it goes wrong, therefore making it safe until repaired?

It won't obviously trip (blow actually), and maybe it will not blow at all. It depends on the nature of the fault.

It is there to disconnect the supply if there is a fault that is bigger than the value of the fuse. Or the breaker in the consumer unit may trip. It all depends.
But why might it be a concern? Why would something go wrong?

Just me being over cautious I guess, as I am not a sparky I am always on pins when I complete a job and as the fuse switch is in the loft it concerns me that I can't see it. Does the job need inspecting and signing off for insurance purposes?

Just me being over cautious I guess, as I am not a sparky I am always on pins when I complete a job and as the fuse switch is in the loft it concerns me that I can't see it.
Strictly speaking, you should teat everything before you switch it on again but you won't have the equipment.

Does the job need inspecting and signing off for insurance purposes?
Not for insurance purposes; not even for Building Regulations for what you have done.

Just make sure what you have done is correct and secure.

Always found the Manrose fans poor quality and unreliable, unlikely to be any better than what you replaced.

Always found the Manrose fans poor quality and unreliable, unlikely to be any better than what you replaced.
Mileage obviously varies. I've nearly always used Manrose fans, and most have been perfectly reliable and have lasted for very many years. If you don't like Manrose ones, which make do you favour?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back