Manrose MF 100 extractor fan

Why not do future replacements when required in the future - or never.

He can put the three-pole isolator in the loft too.
It is not required for electrical reasons.

The argument about not being able to repair the fan in the dark is fatuous and ridiculous.

Sponsored Links
Actually, question for you 2 sort of on topic- with these fans with permanent and switched live, how do you protect the internal wiring without ending up with 2 FCUs feeding the same device? I've just fitted one at home (all new install) with a single FCU before the light switch, permanent live coming off before the switch & switched live after it- obviously means the light is fed via the FCU as well which isn't ideal but I couldn't see any other way to do it without 2 x FCU.

Actually, question for you 2 sort of on topic- with these fans with permanent and switched live, how do you protect the internal wiring without ending up with 2 FCUs feeding the same device?
With rather complicated wiring and double pole switches.

You should not have to protect the internal wiring of the fan.
Whether the manufacturer calls for 3A protection because their product is crap or whether it is just blanket coverage is never disclosed.

I've just fitted one at home (all new install) with a single FCU before the light switch, permanent live coming off before the switch & switched live after it- obviously means the light is fed via the FCU as well which isn't ideal but I couldn't see any other way to do it without 2 x FCU.
fanwiring7ib.jpg

Ta- never thought of that solution. And yeah I'd go with Option A on the manufacturer requirement myself :)

Sponsored Links
Just to say - not all manufacturer's require the 3A protection so...
They all seem to hide that little gem well inside the installation instructions where you can't see it til you've bought the sodding thing & got it out of the box.

not all manufacturer's require the 3A protection
and I have no idea when this started to be introduced. Perhaps it is only really meant to be utilised if the fan is being connected to a circuit that could deliver a high current (32A ring final, eg).

Personally I see no point in having a 3A fused FCU if the fan is connecting to a lighting circuit with a 6amp MCB. The MCB will trip before the 3amp fuse.

Thanks to everybody for your help and advice, especially EFLImpudence who has been very tolerant of my ignorance. Job delayed until day off Wednesday.

and I have no idea when this started to be introduced. Perhaps it is only really meant to be utilised if the fan is being connected to a circuit that could deliver a high current (32A ring final, eg). .. Personally I see no point in having a 3A fused FCU if the fan is connecting to a lighting circuit with a 6amp MCB. The MCB will trip before the 3amp fuse.
Quite so. It would have been so easy for them to say that 3A fuse protection was required IF the circuit in question was protected by a fuse/MCB rated at more than 5/6A.

Kind Regards, John

Fan up and running, thank you all for your help and guidance:):):)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back