Many Draincocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Every radiator in the house has a draincock on it (except the one in the porch - where it would have actually been useful!). As well as being ugly can I just confirm that this is pointless?

They are used to drain down the system right? So no point having one on each rad? Where the pipes are boxed in, they even went to the extent of adding little access hatches to each drain cock. Or am I missing something and these can be used to drain individual rads?

IMG_1085.JPG IMG_1086.JPG IMG_1087.JPG IMG_1088.JPG IMG_1089.JPG IMG_1090.JPG IMG_1091.JPG

Sponsored Links
If you only had one radiator with a drain cock on ground floor it could be used to drain the rads and pipework above it ,but all other rads on the ground floor would still be full. So you have one on the others that will enable them to be drained also. Having said that ,its a bit of overkill and not totally necessary ,and aesthetically not pretty. You can buy rad valves with a combined drain cock that look much neater.

Every radiator in the house has a draincock on it (except the one in the porch - where it would have actually been useful!). As well as being ugly can I just confirm that this is pointless?

They are used to drain down the system right? So no point having one on each rad? Where the pipes are boxed in, they even went to the extent of adding little access hatches to each drain cock. Or am I missing something and these can be used to drain individual rads?

View attachment 145895 View attachment 145896 View attachment 145897 View attachment 145898 View attachment 145899 View attachment 145900 View attachment 145901
If you only had one radiator with a drain cock on ground floor it could be used to drain the rads and pipework above it ,but all other rads on the ground floor would still be full. So you have one on the others that will enable them to be drained also. Having said that ,its a bit of overkill and not totally necessary ,and aesthetically not pretty. You can buy rad valves with a combined drain cock that look much neater.

Why is it overkill, Terry? If all rads are on drops, then each one needs a DC. Cant tell from pictures if they are risers or drops, though?

OP: TBH, the DC's are the least of your worries. The pipework is total cack.

OK Thanks, that makes a bit more sense then. Each downstairs rad is fed from pipes dropping down the wall from above so I guess that's why they put a drain on each.

Yes the pipework is horrible. No care was taken so shape the copper pipes nicely and it's a complete jumble of copper and plastic.

Sponsored Links
The op states " every radiator in the house has a drain cock ,except one in hall " . That's overkill ,and fireman T is right the pipeworks a dog.

If that was my house, I would have to re-do that 'amateur night' pipework to those rads, and add new drain off valves to each rad. Saying that, it's going to be a bit of a 'mare with all the boxing in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back