Mapei tile grout tips?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have used the mapei anti mound grout, on tumbled marble. it's 5kg to 1 litre of water. But it seems to thick, there was no way I could get it all on the tiles and wipe it down before it starts going off in the bucket should it be a bit thinner? And I gather I could make up smaller Batches but would need a set of scales?

Thanks. For any tips.

Sponsored Links
I just did my bathroom using unibond which had the same ratio stated on the bag. I used kitchen scales and added powder gradually to 100ml of water while mixing and found that after about 450g it was getting too thick to be plyable so am also interested to see what people have to say for future. I ended up doing about 4 to 1

I've just done a bag of exactly the same (mapei) stuff yesterday, mixed 1kg at a time (kitchen scales). Started with 200ml water, ended up with 250ml plus a splash more at the second mixing stage to make it barely wet enough - I was reluctant to add even more water!. Even so it was still drying on the tiles almost on contact and my rubber squeegee was a waste of time so used a bendy scraper/filler knife. I know the bag says 25 minute pot life but fortunately it seemed usuable for over half an hour - which is what it took me to spread each batch. Sponge and big bucket of fresh water cleaned most of the excess but will need more scrubbing today!
I used 5kg for a tiny WC but had those big tiles that look like small ones with loads of grout lines and lots of wastage stuck on the tiles.

IMG_20180606_221316525.jpg
IMG_20180606_221250958.jpg

I never weigh , just put an inch of water in bottom of mixing tub and add to correct consistency. In hot weather leave in a little thinner.

Sponsored Links
I've just done a bag of exactly the same (mapei) stuff yesterday, mixed 1kg at a time (kitchen scales). Started with 200ml water, ended up with 250ml plus a splash more at the second mixing stage to make it barely wet enough - I was reluctant to add even more water!. Even so it was still drying on the tiles almost on contact and my rubber squeegee was a waste of time so used a bendy scraper/filler knife.

View attachment 142880 View attachment 142881

Looks very messy . It’s going to take a lot of cleaning .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back